1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama to sponsor Sprint Cup car?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But Oz, it's not like the guy's struggling with name recognition. I just don't think this is a big bump for him.

On that we agree to disagree.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't see how it can cost him any votes.

Maybe he's a big NASCAR fan?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree on that. But Clinton had far better name recognition that Obama, got a little lazy when she got an early lead and lost the primary. Goes to show that just name recognition doesn't always lead to victory. You've got to stay aggressive.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Brad Daugherty has been hired as his Slack-Jawed Yokel Outreach Coordinator.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not saying it will cost him. I'm saying it seems like an unnecessary thing.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But if you really want to get your name out there, do you peg it to a part-time driver who hasn't sniffed a white flag in months? Hillary Clinton made a comment about wanting people to support the filly re: Eight Belles and, via transitive property, her campaign, and now both are marking time in the same glue bottle Heaven. Not that Obama's going to win or lose in November based on what Kenny Schrader does, but do you really want to feed the media and the opposition a big, fat metaphor should get crap out on the first lap?

And Pocono? That race is so boring, Al Gore wouldn't sponsor a car there.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If they end up talking about it on the Sunday morning shows, followed by discussion of how well Obama is polling in red states full of NASCAR fans, and how he's a different kind of Democrat who can make John McCain compete on a different map, I think it's money well spent.

Bankshot.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Absolutely WILL NOT cost him votes (on a net basis). I don't think the votes he'd gain (on a net basis) would make his effort worthwhile. It does seem pretty dang transparent.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He's played ball with the Tar Heels. Now he's a NASCAR guy. Might not be a bad strategy to win North Carolina. ;)

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Won't the Sunday morning shows be touching on that just from the numbers? And isn't there a decent chance he could get excoriated for pandering?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Zeke, in how many of the Obama pics at your house is Barack wearing a halo?

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree......I don't see a downside.

Will BET be sending anyone to Pocono to cover the race? ;) (crossthreading reference)

Draft saved Draft deleted