1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama to sponsor Sprint Cup car?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's all well and good, but it's a risky move. You know what candidates and presidents like to be associated with? Winners. If the car they sponsor doesn't contend, or even worse doesn't make the field, what does that make the car, and the candidate that sponsored it?

A Loser.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I honestly think Obama's got more money than he knows what to do with.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Apparently so. But burning it might be better. Or hand out $5 to every person at the race that weekend. Buying each of them a beer might do better than putting your name on that car.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Any money spent before the convention and Labor Day at this point is urinating it away. Obama's kidneys must be begging for mercy.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If he's looking for suggestions, I could provide a few. Maybe he can donate to my church. I will promise not to rail on whitey too much.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Maybe he can pay fans in attendance to get "Obama '08" tattooed on themselves.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He'd be better off with Ken Schrader as his VP than Ken Schrader as the driver of his race car.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not being clear.

This isn't even a full-time team. It failed to make three of the first six races this season, and hasn't shown up since. No sponsorship, no anything.

From Jayski:

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Democrats and stock cars. I'm stoked!

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Or shaved in their back hair

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you think he's going after diehard NASCAR fans with this, you're crazy. I'm I were a betting man, this is an appeal to the casual sports fan who might see the story on SC, in their local sports page or on the front page on ESPN, Yahoo, SI.com, etc. And if that catches the attention of swing-state voters in North Dakota, Colorado, Nevada, Florida and North Carolina, so be it. It might not win him any votes right now, but it's something that puts him in their consciousness for the time being.

And why does Obama need to back a winner for this to be a good idea? How much money would it spend to get Busch, Gordon, Bowyer, Earnhardt, Stewart, etc. for one week? A small fortune, I would think. And that's if -- IF -- the driver's OK with the decision to put a Democrat (heck, any politician) on his car, and with that, you have to take into account fan and sponsor reactions.

Schrader might have been Obama's only chance to do something like this.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Obama's ride

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted