1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama takes the big leap

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't forget that all but one of the statewide elected officials are Dems.

I'm just saying that most of the Dems would be in the GOP in most of the rest of the country. They're not liberals by any means. They tend to be Libertarians who got pissed with the GOP and left the party.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I believe half of Kansas' representatives are Democrats as well.

I like Obama. Don't know enough about him and his stances, but I like what I see/hear so far.

3. I doubt it.
    They wouldn't be Republicans anywhere in the South.
    And Schweitzer -- and Tester, for that matter -- are more lefty on economics and trade than the mainstream Clintonian Democratic position.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

F_B, I live in Montana. I'm betting I know the politics a bit better than you do.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

oh, snap!

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Two fists, 3/4 closed, working in synch.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As much as I like Obama and think he's potentially a JFK-esque leader that this country needs, I am not sure that the heartland--and I know he's from Illinois--will support him. All the GOP has to say is "Obama Hussein," show 9/11 footage and his candidacy is down the toilet.

I do look forward to seeing how the GOP's hitmen slander his character. Compassionate conservatives, indeed.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Unbelievable. You need some fucking help, pal. Really. Maybe I should post a little more on here, because I'm clearly not giving you enough of a workout as my personal stalker. Fortunately Petty doesn't seem to be the jealous type.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dumbest comment in the history of the board.

Another New York asshole who can't see past the Empire State Building.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

While I disagree with DyePack's tone, HB, I think he has a point. It's bullshit to pretend that the people in the "heartland" are stupid enough to fall for something like that. If the GOP ran a campaign ad like that, Obama could immediately go on television and say, "See, this is what people resort to when the have no ideas. Yes my middle name is Hussein. My father was from Kenya. My mother is from Kansas. Like many Americans, I'm proud of my heritage. But I'm an American. When the GOP wants to stop playing cheap tricks, and talk about policy, I'll debate them any place, anywhere."

People from middle America aren't stupid. The do, however, get pissed when people from places like New York treat them like they are stupid. That's part of the reason why the Democrats lost the working man. No one has to apologize for being smart, but no one should condescend to people simply because of geography either.

12. joe

joe Active Member

I'm thinking the Clinton Pinkertons are working overtime now.

Draft saved Draft deleted