1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama stealing speeches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I can't believe the media (Lou Dobbs was all over this shit tonight) is playing right into Hillary's hands. This is a woman who thought she was entitled to the presidency being derailed by a candidate in Obama the voters, it turns out, like better than the anointed one. So when she's down, she stoops to this shit? As Zeke pointed out, politicians do this all the time. He had permission of the Mass. Gov. to use the comments. What was he supposed to do? Stop in the middle of the speech and give some sort of citation. The polls are clear: Obama beats McCain, McCain beats Hillary. I wish this washed up old bag would go away before we have another Republican in office who will have us in Iraq 100 years and knows nothing about economics by his own admission.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

99.9999999% of the American public couldn't give two shits about this stuff.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

'No new taxes,'' McCain declared today.
    Failed to credit Bush Sr.
    Plagiarist!

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/799767,CST-NWS-mccain18.article

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This shows, again, how desperate the Clinton camp is.

Watching ABC News tonight, I heard Clinton rip off an illegal immigrant riff nearly word-for-word from Edwards -- straight down to a Blockbuster reference.

Bill and Hillary are getting PWNED and don't like it very much, so they're stomping their feet whenever possible.

5. I can't say I'm happy about this, but I don't think it's a big deal.
    First of all, I think political speeches are different because politicians have speech-writers; how upset can you get about Obama stealing someone's work when it's entirely possible it was the same writer for both and Obama just doesn't want to admit he didn't write it himself? Plus they are delivered without teleprompters a lot of the time, so it's a lot easier to have something you heard a long time ago resurface as if it's an original thought.
    Now, if he lifted passages for his book, I've got a major issue, but for now I'll continue to support him.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Considering this got Biden derailed in 1988, I can see why the media might be on it, but did they ever stop to think someone might have written the speech for Barack to say??

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You mean, like when McCain cribbed a line from Obama last week and... No one said anything?

You're going to have to come heavier than that, son. Batshit conservative hypotheticals are already covered well round these parts.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sigh, another political story that's much ado about nothing.

9. They all are. Seriously.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Seriously, I'm tired of hearing about how much a candidate spends on their hair, how much they tip, how they like their fried squirrel, and what music they like.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. It's like the Super Bowl hype weeks -- got to have another story to fill the news cycle.

12. You two are adorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted