1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama skewers Trump, gets skewered himself at White House Correspondent's Dinner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EagleMorph, May 1, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. Franken was with the show from its birth and he's the guy that wrote many of those legendary 1970s sketches that made the show. Calling him the worst SNL anything is beyond absurd, his early contributions are a large part of what created SNL.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Jon Lovitz, Julia-Louis Dreyfus, Phil Hartman, Jim Belushi, Robert Downey Jr., Jan Hooks, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Joan Cusack. That "vast wasteland of fail" launched a lot of damn successful careers.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think probably refers to the early '80s group that surrounded Murphy (though you do mention Dreyfus and Belushi). Crystal and Short were brought in that one year that they hired some already-known veteran talent to jumpstart the franchise. The next year was the Hall, Downey, Cusack group, and although many in that cast proved to be very talented, it really wasn't one of the show's best years. Then, the year after that the Carvey and Hartman-led cast took over and got it back to being really good again.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I called Meyers the worst Update anchor in history. Someone else went in and changed what I wrote in a quote.

I'm not mad, we can bond over our hatred of Seth Meyers. :)

Fred Armisen is far worse than Meyers. Will Forte would be in the conversation as well.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect he was referring to the early 80s casts before the Lovitz/Hartman era.

Either way, that's a very misleading list. Billy Crystal, Martin Short, and Dennis Miller were all very successful before their SNL runs. Belushi had his own sitcom before SNL, and certainly owes his success far more to his name than to SNL. Julia Louis Dreyfus, Robert Downey Jr., and Joan Cusack were either totally forgettable or utter wash-outs as cast members. That leaves Lovitz, Hartman, Hooks and Nealon, and not one went on to do anything that came close to their success on SNL. (I'll give Hartman a pass for obvious reasons, and he was great on "Newsradio.") Between those four you've got a bunch of sitcoms where they're the third or fourth name on the credits. That's it.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nice avatar, SpeedTchr. Bender would say, "Trump can bite my shiny metal ass!"

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Epic threadjack.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That would be ironic considering all these years that his his hair has let him down.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah, early 80s is exactly what I had in mind. Should have been a little more specific.

I'll agree with all the "successful careers" except Kevin Nealon.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

What's your problem with Kevin Nealon?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Jean Doumanian years make for great reading in the SNL histories I have. Those are the serious wasteland years.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to look like an idiot asking this but who is the babe with Moddy?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted