1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama skewers Trump, gets skewered himself at White House Correspondent's Dinner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EagleMorph, May 1, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sweeney gets credit for his Nancy Reagan impersonation.

There are plenty of no-talent, "who the hell was that?" performers on the early 80s lists... but I'm not sure any of them equaled the horrid vortex of suck that was Horatio Sanz.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes, what made the whole thing even better was the angle and lighting on Trump when CSPAN cut to him. The hair was just....words fail.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The 80s was pretty much a vast wasteland of fail for SNL, save Eddie Murphy. The next decent cast was the early 90s bunch that brought us Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Al Franken, et al.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

The reason Charles Rocket stands out is because some genius thought the show should revolve around his talents which were described as a cross between Bill Murray and Chevy Chase.

On the bright said he said 'fuck' on the air. Then got fired shortly thereafter.

5. PCLoadLetter

"Oh, man, it’s the first time I've ever been shot in my life. I'd like to know who the fuck did it."

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Weekend Update" was unwatchable with Colin Quinn. The next time he makes me laugh will be the first.

7. PCLoadLetter

I realize there are plenty of people here who would disagree... but Weekend Update was never worse than it was under the Norm McDonald era. The same jokes week after week.. and they weren't funny the first time. It's the only period when I've been a regular watcher of SNL but turned it off when Weekend Update came on.

And for the record, I was a big fan of Norm before he got the gig. At the time I thought he'd be great.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The worst SNL cast member is now a Senator from Minnesota.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sometimes the SNL gig just doesn't work out for talented people.After her two years on the show, you would've Julia Louis-Dreyfus would be doing summer stock in Peoria now. Chris Rock hosting the Oscars? No! Sarah Silverman was a colossal waste of cast space.
    Then you have people who did a great job on the show but never got their due or underachieved after they left. Where has Jan Hooks been the last 15 years?
    Someone mentioned Dennis Miller's performance at WHCA. He was so down and dirty that Bush 41 and Bar got up and left. Maybe he's spent the last 10 years kissing Bush ass out of guilt.
    As fir Trump...he's whining about how nasty the show was 48 hours after making a political speech in which he dropped F-bombs like Jimmy Doolitle.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought Dennis Miller was the best Weekend Update host ever. And Dana Carvey not having a super post-SNL career excluding Wayne's World appearances, that's the most shocking of all. He dominated the deepest cast.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Not even close, Carlton. But thanks for playing. I'm sure your politics played no role in this guess, right? ::)

Try again. :)

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Franken was responsible for some of the best skits on there. The difference was, he wrote the key sketches in the 70s instead of starring in them like he did in later years.

Draft saved Draft deleted