1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama racks up $25 million in fundraising...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 4, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And that worked so well for Gore.

The experience you gain as the VP probably isn't worth the political capital it costs you in the general election.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I started out firmly in Clinton's camp, but I'm definitely in favor of a Obama/Edwards ticket now, either way.

I'll vote for Clinton if she's the nominee, but to say I've lost my enthusiasm would be a bit of an understatement.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Clinton was a defacto Cabinet member in her husband's administration. Plus she's been a Senator for four-times as long as Obama, so she outpoints him on experience alone. Same with Dodd, Biden and the still-greenish Edwards.

Richardson is a current executive -- a governor, same title Carter, Reagan, Clinton and W. held prior to their presidency -- and has more foreign policy experience than any other candidate from either party. That's still going to be crucial going into this election, we need someone to mend fences globally.

Those who support Obama are the American Idol voters of the Democratic Party. Obama's the Sanjaya of the Democratic race, only with better hair.

4. Freelance Hack

No way Edwards settles for another No. 2 slot, and as I said earlier Obama's ego will preclude him from accepting that spot on anyone ticket.

Everyone needs to remember that we're still 10 months and two days away from the primaries, a lot can still change between now and then. To pick a favorite now is sheer lunacy, especially since the vetting process hasn't even begun.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good points, all, Hack. :)

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Obama has done something Jesse and Sharpton couldn't do: raise that much money in that short of time for an African-American presidential candidate and become a legitimate player in the '08 race. That's impressive as hell.

7. Freelance Hack

And Obama's getting his funding from the same resources Dean tapped into -- the small-time donor.

That's all nice and good, but small-time donors often can't afford to be long-term or big-money donors, so unless Obama can get his hands on some of those, he may run into a cash crunch by the end of the year.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Freelance, are you following this race?

Obama is holding his own among the big donors. That's all anyone needs to do right now, with so many people involved.

And to call Obama's supporters the American Idol voters of the Democratic party is simply laughable. I have a lot of friends from college working in politics -- and many of them are working for Obama. They are far from unthinking people.

9. boots

boots New Member

Give the brother a chance. He's the dark horse in this race, litterally.

10. Freelance Hack

I have a governor's race in my state that I'm paying more attention too, but I'll still keeping tabs on the presidential race.

Of course, Obama's staff is going to have competent, intelligent people. If you're on a top-tier campaign, you better have the best and brightest on your staff, but it'll be interesting to look at who is giving to the Obama campaign. Who are the big donors? Are most, as is being touted, the $25 and $50 donors?

It'll be interesting to see how many of those small donors come back and give another $25, $50 or more this quarter and in the following quarters. Obama's going to need that, and most small donors don't because they can't afford it.

As Obama gets vetted and goes up against the more proven candidates, we'll see if he's able to keep and grow his base. Right now, I'd bet that he won't.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Obama has as much experience at being president as any of the other candidates. What the country needs is sound judgment and pragmatism to take precedence over ideology.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Freelance...If substance mattered would the dolt who's been in the White House for 6+ years have had any chance?
    We're being governed by a moron and you're questioning Obama's substance. Laughable.

Draft saved Draft deleted