1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama-McCain: Public financing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jun 19, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

spinning, I agree with you. It's why my first post on this thread said, "no one is going to understand or care about this," or something to that effect. It isn't campaign finance reform that will stick with people, it's "he said one thing and did another" that will. It's simplified by the fact that it is blatant.

I could be wrong. I'm not a political operative. But I'm also not trying to sell either one of these guys. I could care less which gets elected between the two of them. If anything, I think they are both empty and wrong for the country, but I like Obama more on personality.

I'd make a very educated bet that McCain tries to use the tact I am speculating about, though, because Obama has left some ammo out there. I'd also bet that McCain gets some mileage out of it, but ultimately unless a couple of hookers and some cocaine surface, nothing is going to be enough for McCain to win the election. This election will come down to personality, I believe, and Obama is charismatic and he is a rock star. It's enough to trump any warm, fuzzy feelings people have for the former POW -- who is looking older than Methuselah and will look even older than that when he is standing on a stage next to a young Obama in HDTV. I also think that McCain is stuck running against George Bush's record, no matter how much distance he creates, and George Bush is incredibly unpopular. Those two factors combined make this an uphill battle I am guessing he can't win.

But I have been wrong before.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Campaign finance is exactly like NCAA rules. Too complicated, universally broken, and nobody, but nobody gives a damn.
    Whining that one's opponent has more money than you doesn't project the air of a winner. As long as this society is built on psychopathic individualism, which is to say for longer than any of us will be alive, THAT's what this dispute will look like to voters.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Here are a couple GOP mouthpieces ::) on the subject:

The New York Times: "The excitement underpinning senator Barack Obama 's campaign rests considerably on his evocative vows to depart from self-interested politics. Unfortunately, Mr Obama has come up short of that standard with this decision to reject public spending limitations and opt instead for unlimited private financing in the general election."

The Washington Post: "Mr Obama had an opportunity here to demonstrate that he really is a different kind of politician, willing to put principles and the promises he has made above political calculations. He made a different choice ... "

Democratic Senator Russ Feingold: "...not a good decision".

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

As was said on this thread, Obama will get criticized fairly for doing it. It's also an overall net gain. You don't pass up your biggest competitive advantage.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's possible to admit that the candidate you support is flawed and makes bad decisions. Yet, there's enough overall positives to earn said support. It's called being an adult.

For example, Bill Clinton was kind of a dirt bag, but he was an effective President.

And for further reading, I thought David Brooks column was interesting, over the top in the criticism, but interesting. Essentially, he's saying Obama is Mr. Nice Guy on the outside, but a calculating meanie on occasions. And my reaction to that would be, "So?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/opinion/20brooks.html?hp

The Two Obamas

This guy is the whole Chicago package: an idealistic, lakefront liberal fronting a sharp-elbowed machine operator. He’s the only politician of our lifetime who is underestimated because he’s too intelligent. . .

All I know for sure is that this guy is no liberal goo-goo. Republicans keep calling him naïve. But naïve is the last word I’d use to describe Barack Obama. He’s the most effectively political creature we’ve seen in decades. Even Bill Clinton wasn’t smart enough to succeed in politics by pretending to renounce politics.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I like the alliterative descriptions of liberals>

"limousine liberal"

"lakefront liberal"

What other kinds of liberals are there?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Latte limousine lakefront liberals?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think while the 10 point list is certainly a long and cumbersome tome, it can be condensed down well enough to get the relevant points across.

The average voter doesn't neccesarily want to hear how they flipped, just what issues they did it on.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Obama wouldn't have gotten this far without being an incredibly talented politician. Duh.

He loses West Virginia, he rolls out John Edwards the next day and forces Hillary Clinton to disappear for 48 hours. It was cold, calculating and brilliant. Doesn't make him a bad guy, it makes him a winner.

10. old_tony

What this really points out is the blatant hypocrisy of liberals.

For decades now, the left told us how we have to have campaign finance reform and spending limits. But when they're guy has more money, they laud him being the first candidate since Watergate to buck the system.

Kind of like when their guy in the White House had a history of sexual harassment and maybe even rape. Then, the women's rights movement really didn't mean that much.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Hypocrisy. H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y.

Also, does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that the GOP is slamming a Democrat for NOT taking public funds?

12. old_tony

I find it incredibly ironic that the Democrats are all into limiting money spent on campaigns, until they suddenly have more money thanks to George Soros -- who, by the way, isn't even an American.

Draft saved Draft deleted