1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama had a coke and a smile ... 12 years ago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How that clown is still employed anywhere is beyond me.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

We did![/thedistrictofcolumbia]

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is the kind of shit that's ruining America.

It's moot point, dammit.

:p

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

A guy with experience in the Illinois legislature and two years in Congress who is articulate and can express ideas in an articulate manner that people can understand.

Is that enough to be a good president?

Well, Abraham Lincoln did pretty well.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Obama is interesting. The best angle he's got, frankly, is moving on from the 1960s. We need to. We dearly need to. Even Republicans can groove to that.

And he won't be afraid of anybody. That's the other. I don't mean he'll fight like a junkyard dog. He'll pull the "come with me" line. He describes it a couple times in his latest book.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Amen, Alma. Amen.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Over rated except when girls did lines off your ...

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If the polls are to be believed --- and I'm not sure they are --- only 3-4 percent say they wouldn't vote for a black to be president.

More than 10 percent said they wouldn't vote for somebody over 70 to be president.

So in that respect, McCain has more to worry about than Obama.

However, I suspect the 3-4 percent may be low, with people who wouldn't vote for a black simply not admitting it.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Whenever I hear about polls like this, I think about Chris Rock's Bring the Pain special.

You say you'd vote for a black president because it sounds like the right thing to say.

When push comes to shove, I think that 3-4 percent would end up being a lot higher.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think Hillary leaked it. The Right will come after Obama harder than it ever has on Hillary.
    Why? A few weeks ago, Rick Warren ("The Purpose-Driven Life") invited him to a big event for evangelical Christians (and took some heat from righties over it). Obama is a much bigger danger to the Right than Hillary because he has some appeal for evangelical Christians, a voting bloc Hillary will never get. Obama can cut into the GOP base like no other Democrat.
    They won't attack Obama as overtly as they do Hillary (the race issue can blow up in their faces), but the Right is scared and will do anything...ANYTHING to stop him.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Not necessarily. The key will be how Obama's handlers clean up this mess and how his future opponents (for the Senate or, if he runs, for President) make an issue of it, if they do so at all.

That's what politics is about, especially in this day and age: hammer home your message enough that voters will believe it's reality. That's how Rove & friends were able to convince voters that Bush's stumbles and slip-ups were a sign of folksiness and down-to-earthness.

Draft saved Draft deleted