1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama for Prez - 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The hero treatment Barack has been getting from the media is fascinating and scary at the same time. His 60 Minutes profile went about as well as he could have hoped. He even agreed with Lyman that if he doesn't win the presidency it won't be because he is black, rather it will be because he has failed to convince enough people that he has enough vision for the nation.

I think one of his best lines was when he said if he loses it will be because of mistakes he makes in the future and not because of mistakes he made in the past. Pretty strong stuff, overall.

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I saw that show and the caller, in fact, meant Alicia.

3. Point of Order

I saw that and I also saw the other C-SPAN caller who asked the guest whether anyone had explored the ramification of having a Muslim president if Obama were to be elected. And yes, I think that caller was being sincere in her question, too.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Relax, bro, I don't think anyone is saying that. Stick to what's here. You're taking a very long logical leap.

"Barack Obama may not be able to win because he's black" does not equal "If Obama loses, it can only be because he's black."

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nice bitch-slap of the Australian PM by Obama this weekend. Aussie PM, who only has about 1,000 troops in this fight -- and mostly in non-combatant roles -- went off on how al Qaeda was pulling for an Obama win because that meant a troop withdrawal.

Queue Obama:
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/11/obama.comment/index.html

Heeee!

6. Good rapid response -- like Edwards talking about the surge as the "McCain Plan."

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And all of God's children said....Amen!!! :)

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I also agree with Obama on this. If John Howard thinks this is such a moral war, he should be shipping kids to Basra and Najaf by the busload.

I love how we get support from the "coalition of the willing," a coalition that's shrinking by the second. Hey, if you don't wanna send troops to fight militants, fine. Just don't rip the U.S. when it pulls out.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd be careful about drawing correlations between Obama and Harold Ford; sure, Ford lost some votes in my homestate because of his skin color. But he lost far more because of his last name -- the Ford family has a terrible (and deservedly so) reputation outside of innercity Memphis.

And as for Obama and the black community v. Hillary -- I bet more women support Obama than they do Hillary. And I bet Obama would gladly swap black votes for white female votes.

The groundswell of support for Obama is amazing. His appearance on 60 Minutes last night was also well-received.

Of course, Gore's going to get in the race at some point and knock Obama right out of the lead.

10. Point of Order

Harold Ford might have lost but he ran pretty close in Tennessee:

Corker 929,835 51%
    Ford 879,494

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Obama needs to strike back on the experience issue due to only two years in the Senate.
    He has to point out that Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush had a combined zero years experience in the Senate when they were elected president.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

But they all ran something. Obama was an anonymous member of a state senate.

Draft saved Draft deleted