1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama for Prez - 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Thanks to Bill...

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Later, during the analysis period that all of the big media participated in, it was pointed out that Obama has spent some quality time playing late-night poker with many Illinois legislators, occasionally bumming and smoking cigs, occasionally hoisting a couple of drinks.
    (Yes, I saw the Obama/cigarettes thread last week)
    And the way he skipped through history pointing out various times when this nation has come through with shining colors ... Revolutionary War, Civil War, Great Depression, both World Wars, the Civil Rights Era ... this was great orating.
    My brothers lives and works in Chicago area, a poli-sci graduate, and he says this Obama's got lots of upside.
    As for whether we could "handle" and black president in this country ... I sure hope color doesn't matter in this new millinium.
    And Obama, like Tiger Woods, isn't yoiur mainstream U.S. black.
    I mean, Haitian father and white mother is hardly comparable to what I consider "mainstream" blacks in this country.
    Tiger's half Asian or Polynesian or whatever ethnicity his mother is, but we never hear about it. All we hear about is how he's the first "black" golfing phenom.
    Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" cassette back in the late 80's taught me to know better.
    But back to Obama ... I really like what I'm hearing and seeing from this guy.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Honestly, I don't Obama is going to get the Democratic nomination. Hillary (and her husband, of course) have all the connections in the Democrat party, are popular in the Democrat party and I think will dominate the Democratic voters in the primaries. The good thing for Obama is that he's so young, he can run as a VP candidate or really set himself up to run in four or eight years.

Obviously I'm just guessing, but the way I see it is Hillary has the best chance to win the Democratic nominee but not the presidency, while Obama has a better chance of winning the presidency, but not the Democratic nominee. If Hillary all of a sudden decided to sit this out, Obama would be in the White House with no problem. But I just don't think he gets past Clinton and Co.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That's not why. It's because a great many black voters don't consider Obama "black enough." The entire black community should be embarrassed by this trend - essentially, the premise is that unless you have American slave ancestry and grew up in American black culture, as defined by the black community at large, then you don't really get to be part of things. Of course, no one seemed to mind that Malcolm X was the son of immigrants (or grandson, not sure), as were many other black leaders.

Obama grew up by a single-white mom in Hawaii and his father was a first-gen African native.

Not good enough, I guess.

It's no better than white supremacy movements.

5. As noted earlier, Harold Ford may disagree with you. Corker was a bad mayor who stood for nothing and won. I'm fearful Obama is going to get killed down south.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Hildabeast is going to eat Obama for breakfast in the primaries. The Clintons are the masters of the "politics of personal destruction." I wouldn't be surprised to find out at all that the now-discredited Muslim extremist school story about Obama came from one of Clinton's slimy little operatives.

He seems like an excellent orator with lots of style, but not much substance. He's going to find that when the going gets tough, Hildabeast is one of the shrewdest political operators seen on the American stage. When it comes to the accumulation of power, Hildabeast doesn't play nice. She goes for the jugular.

But what's the difference between the two besides the niceness factor? Both have accomplished little to nothing in the Senate. Both are unapologetic liberals who favor exorbiant taxes, socialized medicine, more governmental regulation, radical environmental policies and who want to cut and run from Iraq without even leaving a semblance of a framework for peace. They'll tack right when the primaries are over, but there is little in the way of policy differences between the two.

I still say if the GOP was smart, they'd trot out Rudy against either one of those two. But they're not. They'll give the nomination to McCain under the Dole theorem (it's his "turn") and he'll get walloped.

7. joe

joe Active Member

We have always been running for president. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Christ, it's nearly two fucking years away. I don't care how good anyone is at this point. Give me some fucking peace, and stop making my head hurt with all this neverending election bullshit. Fuck a duck.

8. Wow.
    "Hildabeast."
    The "operatives."
    Just dropping in, fresh from digging up Vince Foster or something, our latest Freeper.
    And exorbiant, I think, is a new one.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"No wonder your president has to be an actor, he's gotta look good on TV. " - Doc Emmett Brown

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Get killed in the polls (and at the voting booth) or by the KKK?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sadly, I say the second part of the statement is true, sarcasm font or not.

12. Of course, a black candidate can't lose because people don't like his politics. No, it's because people are A) racists or B) stupid or C) maybe both. How condescending.

I'm sure you felt that way about Michael Steele losing in Maryland, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted