1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Fights Smears With New Web Site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jun 12, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Be careful. The .org is really NSFW.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Obama on SNL > McCain on SNL. Just seemed more natural to him.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Is that anything like the Democratic dirty trick of trying to tie McCain to Bush by broadcasting commercials using the old Patty Duke theme -- "Identical Cousins"? That would seem to fall under the "repeating the lie" category.
    MoveOn has plenty more up its sleeve, no doubt.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That lovely photo of a desperate McCain "hugging" a reluctant Bush needs no elaboration.

5. Speaking of "rookie" mistakes. George W. Bush was the first candidate to not register all possible combinations of domains and I'm guessing Obama won't be handling this mistake the way Dubya did back in 1999 when some kid made a parody out of www.gwbush.com

Bush's response to the kid who was running gwbush.com: "There ought to be limits to freedom." I was cleaning up for a garage sale the other day and found the T-shirt I bought back then with that quote from our great president on it. Of course, the really sad part is that Bush wasn't kidding when he made that statement 9 years ago.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There ought to be limits to assholishness, as well.

But, as amply demonstrated since January of 2001 . . .

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8245636/

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What dirty trick would that be. Hasn't McCain voted with Bush on something like 90-95 percent of the issues? And it's not like Bush has done such a bang-up job with this country anyways.

10. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

John King made a simple, yet great point last night on CNN.

He said there was a time when reporters would actually research these ridiculous rumors and unsourced allegations, and either prove or disprove them. The ones that were dis-proved wouldn't even see the light of day. He's right: these days the rumor pushes the story, or just becomes the story.

I don't write this to criticize Obama's new website: the changing nature of how people get their information necessitates it, and he's smart to jump on top of it early. But I'm not talking about the stuff thrown around on the internet; I'm talking about the 'mainstream media'. The fact that these news media outlets are reporting on this crap without any prior investigation on their part is just lazy.

I'm sick of seeing media interviewing media. Get off of CNN and MSNBC and go do your damn job. And any media outlet (and this means you, FOX) that puts people on air 'claiming' to have a tape of something potentially damaging to a campaign but is saving it 'for the right time' compromises its ability to call itself an impartial news organization.

If you've got something, show it.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Even when reporters debunk these rumors (remember when CNN went to the school in Malaysia that Obama attended?) people refuse to believe the debunking. Many people question the agenda of the people doing the debunking.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

McCain is always promoting something. Most commonly it is himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted