1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama campaign bans Ryan Lizza

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But, but, he's the Messiah of Change!

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If 159 were banned and 40 of 200 were approved, what happened to the 160th reporter?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

159 others, bat. Plus Lizza.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

So, doing a 15,000-word piece should get you preferential treatment? Regardless of what the New Yorker has covered, there are probably 40 more viable media outlets in the eyes of the campaign. Besides, it's their plane, they get to choose.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The last long article painted Obama as an opportunist. It really did not show him in a good light. Perhaps the cover is the biggest reason more people aren't talking about Lizza's article on how Chicago has shaped Obama.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll reserve my outrage for when Obama compiles an enemies list.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good catch.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The New Yorker is the 85th-most circulated magazine in the country, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations in 2006.

There's your answer.

With only 40 reporter slots available, it's much easier to justify putting Time, Newsweek and U.S. News, which all have triple the circulation of the New Yorker.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If US Weekly made it, then the New Yorker would have a beef.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

To say nothing of the fact that it doesn't do Obama any good to have a Lizza article about his trip appear 2-3 months later, as it probably would in the New Yorker. For political purposes, the trip calls for an emphasis on daily coverage.

11. FWIW, I'm not a McCain voter. I'm a fairly dedicated Democrat voter, and that will continue in November.

And I don't think the circulation figures do justice to The New Yorker's importance. Though I understand that they could hide behind that if they want.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How hoity-toity is that? The circulation figures identify exactly how no-longer-relevant that mag is. It's 85th (in 06). Deal with it. Historically you may have a premise, but that's, well, history.

Draft saved Draft deleted