1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama and the KKK

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 23, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This is terrible. This stuff usually happens in other countries, but I never thought it would happen here.
    I can not imagine how Obama(or anyone else who has has had death threats coming at him or her) is feeling right now.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It will keep happening here until we defeat poverty and ignorance.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Do any of you guys think Obama'll end his campaign because of this?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In other words, it will probably never end.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You don't honestly think he didn't prepare for exactly this kind of thing, do you?

7. markvid

markvid Guest

God, no.
    The Klan doesn't have that much relevance.
    I do remember Colin Powell's wife telling him not to run because she feared him being killed.
    From what I've read and seen from Obama's wife, she'd say "bring it, bitches".

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not that shocking. The Klan controlled Indiana's politics in the 1920s. At one point, roughly 30 percent of all white men in Indiana belonged to the KKK.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Trivia question for all y'all:

American city farthest north that had a documented racial lynching?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Also, Indiana was one of the first places the Klan took root. I was always taught that the Klan was founded in Indiana, but I think that's since been debunked.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not without a cultural revolution.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Indiana didn't really have anything to do with the original Klan (which was founded in Pulaski, Tenn.), or the founding of the second one, which was at Stone Mountain, Ga.

But Inky's right: The revived Klan was probably more prevalent in Indiana in the 1920s than anywhere else in the country. Hell, the Indiana governor was in the Klan.

Draft saved Draft deleted