1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama and more rebate checks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 10, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

We put way too much focus on the candidates and far too little on the system and what it has become.

Both parties exist for one reason -- to grow the size, cost and scope of government and to try to win elections by making their plan for growing the size, cost and scope of government is really the best course for the country.

And whether it is McCain or Obama -- this much is certain about the next four years -- the size and cost of government will continue to grow, our taxes will continue to go up -- even though McCain will claim that his holds on income tax levels amount to tax breaks -- and our nation will continue to spiral into out-of-control debt.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Your indignation is impressive, but you do realize there are other issues out there, right?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The disaster we are leaving to future generations is my main concern.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wouldn't getting out of the disaster that is Iraq count for something in your book? Or is your main concern all about these checks (which is what it seems)?

5. zagoshe

No there really isn't homosexuals getting married and abortion make for nice arguments on college campuses, but in this election they aren't relevant.

To quote Slick Willy -- it is all about the economy, stupid....

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dammit Zeke!

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Obama: Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats;

I'll believe it when I see it. Call me skeptical.

And it's not "all about these checks". It's the way we run our government every day, spending billions more than we take in, regardless of the war or those dingbat checks. On what planet would one think that that is possibly the best path for our future? I heard a slogan the other day, you may have caught it: There is no free lunch.

The bills will come due - I think its tragic that we just leave them for the next generation to clean up.

8. zagoshe

But, but, but, but if we cut spending/budget/taxes even a little, we won't have roads and bridges and schools......

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

What has the next generation done for me? Nothing. Fuck 'em. I'll be dead by then anyway.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks for coming by, Fredo.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm still trying to figure out what this thread has to do with pedophilia. Is "rebate checks" slang for "12-year-old girls?"

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Politicians do those things because every other politician does them, and every politician does them because that's what voters want to hear, and politics is about winning your next election.

Most people don't want to think about "the big picture" or "facing some short-term pain to make things better in the long term." Nor do they have the time or interest (or either) to evaluate a statement or proposal thoroughly to decide whether it really is good for them.

In other words, "tax cuts" are good for politicians, even if it adds to debt that must be paid off in the future. "Tax rebate checks" are also good. "Tax increases" are bad - just look at how Dubya's old man got strung up for going back on his "read my lips, no new taxes" promise.

Saying to voters that they need to think bigger picture is a sure way to be branded as an elitist who can't relate to working class Americans. Tell them that the "tax increases" will pay off debt and/or pay for more programs, and your opponent will make sure they forget the second part and focus on the first one.

Draft saved Draft deleted