1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Me too. But he meant this one:

[​IMG]

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Oh, duh!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Two of the groups organizing the "Sell the Team" protests went to San Jose tonight for the U.S. Cup between the Earthquakes and the USL2's Oakland Roots.

The Quakes are owned by Fisher and San Jose fans don't care much for Fisher either, so it wasn't exactly a lovefest. Roots players wore "I Stand With Oakland" wristbands during the game.

And, if anyone cares, San Jose won 1-0 on a goal in the 76th minute.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I’ve always liked the concept of the U.S. Cup where practically any team can get in and compete with MLS teams. It’s like if Chicos Bail Bonds entered a tournament and had to face the Dodgers.

Didn’t some beer league soccer team pull off a couple of upsets in the tournament and end up facing an MLS team a few years ago?

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

This one maybe?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-latest-cinderella-was-christos-fc/102866982/

Holding out hope: Tormenta FC of the third-tier USL League One and based in my college town of Statesboro, Georgia, is playing Charleston today (Wednesday). The winner will host Atlanta United coming up.

I'd love the thought of a major league sports team (even if not all of the star players would be involved) coming to Statesboro.

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

T: 3:07.
    Att: 3,965.
    Venue: Oakland Coliseum.
    May 7, 2024

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Regularly posting attendance at an A's game is now officially more tedious than posting the daily temperature in East Cupcake in the weather thread.

8. HanSenSE

This year, there was an amateur team in the Bay area sponsored by a chain of Mexican restaurants that knocked off Portland's USL2 team in the first round, but lost to the Roots in the second round.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that’s it.

10. HanSenSE

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The English FA Cup is built on the same principle, except the pairings are randomly drawn every round and there is no set bracket. I'm sure there are other subtle differences, such as replays, OT/penalties and the like.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like a natural "underdog" story. Have a hardscrabble club team make it all the way to a US Cup final against the defending MLS Cup champs - but, they face a great deal of pressure, since having the MLS Cup champs lose to a club team would be bad for pro soccer in the US. How does it turn out?

Draft saved Draft deleted