1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"O beautiful, Oh say can you see"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 25, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

James Taylor had a bit of confusion last night.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/james-taylor-national-anthem/

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I wish they'd stop doing the national anthem at every single sporting event.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At least he didn't say 'sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground'.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I heard about this first, then watched it and couldn't believe the reaction it got. Was this that big of a deal?

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Back in the day, Keith Richards told James Taylor to stop taking so many drugs.

7. dooley_womack1

Enrico Palazzo doesn't see what the big deal is

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's kind of funny when a guy starts singing the wrong song on national TV, yeah. Depends on your definition of "big deal," but that is noteworthy for sure.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

99 percent of the time, I would prefer hearing a good college band play the anthem than watch just about any singer butcher it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I may have posted this before, but before one of the 1978 NLCS games in Philly they had James Earl Jones do the anthem. And I when say do, I mean just that. Jones, realizing there's no way he's hitting the notes on "rocket's red glare" and "home of the brave" didn't sing the anthem and instead recited it.

11. dooley_womack1

Will soon be looking that up on YouTube. Bet that's awesome.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

There are stories of him telling carly simon he was going to ride his bike while they were living in california and a week later jimmy buffett calling up to say taylor was passed out at his bar in key west

Draft saved Draft deleted