1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's NBA writer leaves for Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

New York Times NBA writer -- pardon me, N.B.A. writer -- Howard Beck is leaving for Bleacher Report.

https://twitter.com/HowardBeckNYT/status/380426917687853056

On the surface it feels a bit like Shelley Long deciding to leave Cheers for a promising career in cinema, but I guess the times really are a-changin'.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Along with Miami's Ethan Skolnick and LA's Kevin Ding. All announced today.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Apparently, someone's got some bucks to throw around.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think Beck is an especially good NBA writer, and he may be making a poor long-term decision, but Bleacher Report is throwing money at people. Maybe some day I'll look at it.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's just wildly uninformed.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Michael,

I gotta tell ya, Beck's stuff is pretty good.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Beck is solid but I won't quibble with Michael's assessment until I see a few of his slideshow captions.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So any ideas on if Bleacher Report is going to use these people properly? From what I've read, they've made promises to respectable journalists in the past, only to have them regret making the move.

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Beck talked to Deadspin about his move over there. The comparison between BR and Yahoo! Sports was intriguing.

http://deadspin.com/why-howard-beck-left-the-new-york-times-for-bleacher-re-1349408343@barryap

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I don't hate the move at all. Wish him the best.

11. tmr

tmr Member

I wonder if they'll change the name or rebrand the NBA portion of the site TurnerSports.com.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Excellent question. I won't click on anything under the Bleacher Report banner, even if they're becoming more legit with hires like this. But I (and many on this board) must be in the minority of sports fans who are turned off by the name and BR's origins.

Draft saved Draft deleted