1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's David Carr rips Tribune execs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Link's gone, it appears.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I wonder how big his golden parachute's going to be while more workers end up slashed.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/10/editor-calls-damage-to-tribune-reputation-%E2%80%98shameful%E2%80%99/39987

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nice recovery.

And will note that, as is so often the case, the comments are as good as the original piece.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yes, do read the comments. They're terrific as an inside look at Tribune and other Chicago newspaper woes, and big F-U to top boss Kern, waving his sanctimony flag way too late (to cover his complicity for too long).

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clear Channel . . . radio . . . yahoos.

What more need be said?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Along the lines of, "the Tribune" & "Tribune Co" are separate entities, John Kass tries to defend the Trib:

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, YankeeFan. Kass makes some good points, and he's right about some of the great reporting that's been done by Tribune reporters.

But I couldn't help but laugh at the Tribune.com link immediately next to those words: "Chicago's Nightlife in Pictures" right next to a photo of hot young women dressed to the nines.

11. swenk

swenk Member

Anyone who has followed the Tribune saga will appreciate Robert Feder's blog of related headlines over the last year:

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/10/a-year-in-the-life-of-tribune-co-%E2%80%94-headline-by-headline/40222

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I thought Neil Steinberg's comments on that blog thread were interesting..talking about Mariotti and such...

If you're interested in the genre -- and people writing about drinking and quitting certainly is one -- Drunkard isn't a bad representative. HE was the guy drinking from the vanilla bottle late at night when he couldn't find anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted