1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYTimes and left wing reach of the week....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big_Space, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/business/media/05adcol.html?pagewanted=print

<i> No commercial that appeared last night during Super Bowl XLI directly addressed Iraq, unlike a patriotic spot for Budweiser beer that ran during the game two years ago. But the ongoing war seemed to linger just below the surface of many of this year’s commercials.
    More than a dozen spots celebrated violence in an exaggerated, cartoonlike vein that was intended to be humorous, but often came across as cruel or callous.
    For instance, in a commercial for Bud Light beer, sold by Anheuser-Busch, one man beat the other at a game of rock, paper, scissors by throwing a rock at his opponent’s head.
    In another Bud Light spot, face-slapping replaced fist-bumping as the cool way for people to show affection for one another. In a FedEx commercial, set on the moon, an astronaut was wiped out by a meteor. In a spot for Snickers candy, sold by Mars, two co-workers sought to prove their masculinity by tearing off patches of chest hair.
    There was also a bank robbery (E*Trade Financial), fierce battles among office workers trapped in a jungle (CareerBuilder), menacing hitchhikers (Bud Light again) and a clash between a monster and a superhero reminiscent of a horror movie (Garmin).
    It was as if Madison Avenue were channeling Doc in “West Side Story,” the gentle owner of the candy store in the neighborhood that the two street gangs, the Jets and Sharks, fight over. “Why do you kids live like there’s a war on?” Doc asks plaintively. (Well, Doc, this time, there is.)
    During other wars, Madison Avenue has appealed to a yearning for peace.</i>

This is my favorite part

<i>Then, too, there was the unfortunate homonym at the heart of a commercial from Prudential Financial, titled “What Can a Rock Do?”

The problem with the spot, created internally at Prudential, was that whenever the announcer said, “a rock” — invoking the Prudential logo, the rock of Gibraltar — it sounded as if he were saying, yes, “Iraq.”

To be sure, sometimes “a rock” is just “a rock,” and <b>someone who has watched the Super Bowl XIX years in a row only for the commercials may be inferring things that Madison Avenue never meant to imply.</b></i>

no shit Sherlock.

and people wonder why the Times loses $648 million in one quarter.

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

You don't have a life do you?

This thread is a reach. You know 150 Iraqis were killed yesterday, does this really matter?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You think the opinion of the Super Bowl commercials given by a media critic is the reason?

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

What the fuck does that have to do with Super Bowl commercials and a man getting hit by a rock? Let's see - is Beavis and Butt-head responsible for the war attitude too?

Truly insane.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

you are an idiot.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I know it's all the liberal media's fault.

Your conspiracy theories are really a stretch. Perhaps the NYT should donate more the the GOP campaigns so it can receive absurd no-bid contracts to deliver papers to the middle east. Then they could join Halliburton as the top war-profiteers.

This is pathetic.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

What an absurd column.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think Budweiser had the war in mind on the rock , paper, scissors bit.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh yes they did. The whole country, at least 82 percent, hate Bush and don't support the war. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted