1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nyt yankees beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Jul 30, 2011.

1. spankys

spankys Member

I saw ben shpigel is covering the jets now. The times has done some part-time beats in recent years, but obviously the yankees is not a part-time beat. Wonder if theyve shuffled within or plucked someone from outside.

2. nck228

nck228 Member

Shpigel mentioned via Twitter that David Waldstein would be moving over from the Mets beat. Not sure who'd be replacing Waldstein there, though.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd love for them to hire Sam Borden, the terrific columnist from the Westchester County, N.Y., Journal News who was laid off in the last wave of Gannett cuts. He's covered a number of Yankee games for the Times since his layoff, and he's outstanding. He also occasionally wrote about the Mets at the Journal News. But the Times loves hiring young, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Shpigel was on the beat for barely a flicker, it seems. He was moved onto it from the Mets gig after Jack Curry took a buyout and Tyler Kepner became the national baseball writer. I thought he did an excellent job, for what it's worth. I haven't read much of Waldstein's work because, well, it's the Mets.

Considering the market, I'm a little surprised the Jets beat is considered bigger than the Yankees beat, though this may be more of Shpigel wanting a new challenge and tiring of the day-to-day of the baseball beat than looking to take a step up the ladder. New York is one of the few markets where MLB and NFL beats are on a similar level.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Picking an NFL beat over a baseball beat is simple self-preservation. Just as many readers, but you're off the 3 to midnight shift most of the time. You're also home many more days than not. It's still hard work, but it's hard work on an infinitely saner schedule.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The Jets beat was going to Jonathan Abrams before he left for Grantland. He wasn't welcoming the switch off NBA stuff.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I figured there had to be more to his move than met the eye. Interesting. They planned to eliminate the general NBA beat, then? Harvey Araton writes a lot about the NBA as is, so it's understandable.

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I don't know much about New York readers and don't live in the area, but if national media outlets (a la ESPN) tell anything, the Jets beat is the second best beat in NY sports right now and coming close to the Yanks.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Giants are definitely the more popular team. But both beats are almost as big as the Yankees, simply by virtue of being football.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Shpigel to Jets, Waldstein to Yankees, Andrew Keh to Mets ...

Draft saved Draft deleted