1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: The Sky is Failing. Future Uncertain.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Carbon Dioxide Level Passes Long-Feared Milestone

The level of the most important heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide, has passed a long-feared milestone, scientists reported on Friday, reaching a concentration not seen on the earth for millions of years.

Scientific monitors reported that the gas had reached an average daily level that surpassed 400 parts per million — just an odometer moment in one sense, but also a sobering reminder that decades of efforts to bring human-produced emissions under control are faltering.

The best available evidence suggests the amount of the gas in the air has not been this high for at least three million years, before humans evolved, and scientists believe the rise portends large changes in the climate and the level of the sea.

“It symbolizes that so far we have failed miserably in tackling this problem,” said Pieter P. Tans, who runs the monitoring program at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that reported the new reading.

“It feels like the inevitable march toward disaster,” said Maureen E. Raymo, a Columbia University earth scientist.

http://nyti.ms/11qGIIa

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

TOTAL BULLSHIT! IT SNOWED A LOT THIS WINTER!

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I was sure the first response would be Tony saying scientists don't know nuthin'.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, should be a good growing season, since plants "breathe in" Carbon Dioxide and "exhale" oxygen.

But if that's not good enough, I'm sure the people who believe this is a problem can just stop exhaling.

5. Let's move Tony to Kiribati, but he doesn't get to leave when the waters engulf the island.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the time has come to ban baked beans.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you want to build me a vacation home there, go ahead. I'll be glad to use it for the coming decades.

I could live another 100 years and it will be no more underwater than it is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.