1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: So you're NOT the mayor of Paris? Ooooh... crap.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Haven't seen this posted yet ...

Oops.

Memo the NYT: Always check out letters to the editor sent via email from reputed foreign dignitaries

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Newspapers should start getting used to this. When you cut jobs, corners end up being cut as well.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even cutting jobs to the bone doesn't excuse this. If they don't respond to the edits, you don't publish the letter. How tough is that to understand?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More apologizing with less integrity.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

apologize smarter, not harder.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If only they could outsource the confirmations to India, this would've never happened.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My question is this ... when they sent the edited version of the letter back to the original sender, how would that have verified his identity? If I send a fake racist email from George.W.Bush@gmail.com and they send it back to me and I approve of their edits, does that mean it would get in? I mean, it's not as if it would be difficult to verify if the mayor of goddamn Paris sent you a letter with a couple of quick phone calls.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How can ANY e-mail be confirmed?

9. We have an editorial page editor. Part of his job is to call and verify all letters to the editor.
    Last week, some yahoo wrote a letter calling for the extermination of feral cats, signed it Mike White or something.
    Our editor calls the phone number. Dude Answers.
    Edit.: Is Mike White there?
    Dude: Who?
    Edit.: Mike White?
    Due: Um... .. Oh, yeah, hold one.
    Pause ...
    (Same Dude): Yeah, hello this is Mike White.

Editor said the guy didn't even try to disguise his voice. He got off the phone with the guy Googled his address and found his real name. We checked our archives and sure enough the guy - under his real name - had previously written letters to us - though none calling for the extermination of feral cats.

Long story short; we didn't run the letter.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Letters policy
    • Please include daytime phone number for confirmation.

Wow, that was hard. So a paper with the resources of the NY Times. The same paper that has a Paris newsroom. Or at least I think that's where the IHT works out of and they can't confirm a letter from the Mayor of Paris?
    Dumb and dumber.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That can be fictitiously given, too.

You cannot confirm any non-handwritten correspondence with 100 percent certainty.

Draft saved Draft deleted