1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT report: Apple, America and a Squeezed Middle Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oscar Gamble, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

And that's a fantastic point.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's not just Americans.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The fact is America's fundamental economy has shifted dramatically in the last decade or so, and as a result, the Middle Class is disappearing. Some of that is due to government policy, but I'd venture to say 80 percent of it is due to massive economic shifts around the world, illustrated by Apple's sitting on $80 billion in cash, but hiring on Asians to manufacture its goods to sell to Americans.

As Thomas Friedman points out in his excellent recent book, That Used to Be Us, it's not too late to revive the Middle Class. But it will take an overhaul of tax policy, health care, and particularly education.

And we all know none of that will happen anytime soon.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sorry. Been busy. Only got to the Times a little while ago, and the article had already been posted.

I'll try to do better next time.

(Of course more than half the board doesn't even read the Times. I constantly say it's the best paper in the country.)

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's OK in it's coverage area.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I try not to worry about this stuff and just do the best job I possibly can. If the world around me is greedy and incompetent, not much I can do about it from my position in the squeezed middle class.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Nothing like painting a broad brush. I'm sure you can find evidence of both. But it might not fit as neatly into your preconceived notions. I, for one, am shocked that companies would look to cut their expenses when possible. Greedy bastards.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When you get laid off, don't come here and whine about it. It's just business.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And when the CEO doubles his bonus after laying you and thousands of others off, remember, you're all just envious.

11. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just doing some back of napkin calculations and making some broad assumptions I would estimate that Apple saves at least 12 - 15 billion a year in employees taxes by outsourcing. That does not even account for the infrastructure they would have to build to manage an additional 500,000 employees.

That is a lot of money not flowing into our social security and medicare systems.

Draft saved Draft deleted