1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT report: Apple, America and a Squeezed Middle Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oscar Gamble, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Could you point them out, please? And then could you point out the conservatives that think that way as well?

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Liberal take--pointing out NYTimes should have been harder on Apple:
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/01/new-york-times-tells-us-only-chinese-near-slave-labor-could-handle-steve-jobs-demands.html

Conservative take--viewing these working conditions as proof China benefits from "scale, speed, flexibility, and the supply chain, more than just from lower wages per se.":
    http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/01/why-isnt-the-iphone-made-in-america.html

3. TheSportsPredictor

You used liberals -- plural.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Read the comments to that post.

Also, for the record, I consider myself quite liberal. I wasn't using it as a derogatory term, if that's what you're getting at.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't see it as soft on Apple at all. Times readers are smart enough to draw there own conclusions with the facts that The Times put out.

This story will take a while to set in but I predict that it will have a lasting effect to how Apple does business.

6. TheSportsPredictor

I call myself liberal and don't think Apple came off particularly well in this article.

Sent from my iPad.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a thread about a month ago with big business lamenting how difficult it is to find skilled American workers? As written in the article, I believe there was much apologia that it wasn't about the money, it was about the lazy and incompetent American worker.

As this story makes clear (not that it should have been unclear anyway), what companies are looking for is skilled American workers WHO LABOR FOR SLAVE WAGES.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I posted that and there were a couple of responses from some that heard the complaints from some plant manager that it's tough to find people willing to show up for work or not be stoned.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Demonize the workers. Management 101.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

The bottom line, sad but true, is the demand. Americans just gotta have those wonderful toys and keep right on purchasing them.

We don't care where they're made, how they're made or who's making them, or even what they cost to be made vs. what workers are being paid to make them.

Everyone seems to hate the BCS, but honestly, what percentage of TVs in the U.S. weren't tuned to 'Bama-LSU? Gas prices? Same thing. The day we act is the day that begins change. Until then ...

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Maybe the future of U.S. manufacturing jobs isn't as bad as the NYT article claims. The next time I'm in the market for another TV, I'll be sure to take a look at this one:

full article at:

http://www.suntimes.com/business/10128211-420/dont-look-now-but-tvs-may-again-be-made-in-us.html

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

WFFW.

Draft saved Draft deleted