1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT quotes 3.4 times as many men as women on A1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. But waving your "three diplomas" and "graduate hours at VCU and UVA," whatever the hell that means, around like they somehow save your posts shows a pretty fundmental misunderstanding of how credibility-amassing on the Internet usually occurs. Sure, people's experiences matter. If someone was a long-time baseball beat writer, I may be inclined to believe his view of what it's like to cover baseball vs. someone who once covered a series on his off day. But your degrees and "graduate hours" are not some 14-inch schlong you can whip out that somehow magically make bad arguments good ones.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This is not a courtroom, either.

3. Dick Whitman

Meaning what?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You don't know what a courtroom is? But you have said you are a lawyer.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also must be said that generalizing from that one specific article is pretty sloppy, too.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The deal, guys, is no one here knows who anyone is, so all the credentials mean pretty much jack. I mean, people can say they're attorneys or Ph.Ds or Pulitzer Prize winners or coffee machine repairmen, but who really knows? They might actually be cab drivers or garbage collectors or insurance agents or the Queen of England for all I know.

Therefore, all supposed "credentials" go out the window. What you say here stands on its own.

7. Dick Whitman

Exactly.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The only exception to this is if we find out which women's hoops player Mizzou banged, he could go to the top or bottom of the board, depending.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, that goes without saying.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's not minimize what I said. I didn't just call you dumb in some generic sense of the word. I called you the dumbest poster on the board. The most dumb, if you will. And, considering the cast of characters here, that's some achievement.

And, Thomas Jefferson weeps at the thought that you could posses a degree from the glorious institution that is UVa and still be so dumb.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You tell him, Your Majesty!

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Are you posting this as an example of something good or something bad?

NYTimes columnists are limited to roughly 800 words. This was over 1,000 and could have lost 400 words and said the same thing. But then it would have lost that, "this senator told me recently" name dropping.

Draft saved Draft deleted