1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT on NYDN 'Fire Isiah' signs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Who can pretend to understand a mind ravaged by drug use... which probably wasn't all that smart to begin with...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seems like a spoiled, clueless scion, proving the theory about business acumen and drive dissipating from generation to generation.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In a totally uncalled-for threadjack:

Nice to see the NYT using the word ``hapless'' incorrectly. It means unlucky, not inept or incompetent.

Look it up, then carry on.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Amen.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Since when do you care about original intent?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, let the other shoe drop, guy. What tangential point are you trying to bring into this limited-focus discussion?

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

DING, DING, DING! I brought that up a while back. How on earth do you fail miserably at work, then cost your employer $11 million and still manage to keep your job?!? I mean, if I was getting beat on stories every day and screwing up items, then I hit on a co-worker and called her a "bitch", my boss would dump the contents of my desk out on the sidewalk and have me bounced from the building.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

As some pundits have said, Dolan is going to get rid of Thomas only when and if he wants to. The (deserved) railing by the press and fans only makes Dolan less willing to do so.

And Daddy Dolan doesn't really care what Jim does, because MSG (Knicks, Rangers, Radio City, etc) is only a small part of the Cablevision empire. Even with all his screw-ups, he's not really hurting Cablevision's overall bottom line.

If the Knick fans and media really want changes made, stop watching, going to and covering the games. When the Garden is sold out and people are watching on MSG and press row is packed and four pages of each day's Post and Daily News are devoted to Knicks coverage, the Dolans are still getting what they want - money and exposure to the public (which means more money). Even if that sell out crowd boos from start to finish and the tabloids have 500-point headlines on their front page calling for Thomas and Dolan's heads, people are still paying for pricey tickets (along with concessions and the rest) to watch the games and they're getting to read about them.

If the Knicks are playing in front of 7,000 people every night, no one is watching on TV and the games get only 10 inches of coverage, the revenue won't be coming in, the value of advertising drops and profits will fall. And only then will cablevision be most inclined to make changes.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Dolan will have to fire Isiah because the heat will be too much.

The people who have the expensive seats aren't going to give them up because they want to keep their position and status. So even if the Garden has empty seats, it would have a limited effect because the big money is still there. Cablevision is a monopoly so the pressure is limited in that regard.

What will happen is that Dolan's rich friends will probably put pressure on him or there may be political pressure or Daddy may pressure him or there may be pressure from sponsors.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Gold -- I have a work contact who has pricey company seats -- in the $300 per ticket range. He had upgraded for years and then hit a wall where there were no better seats. Over the past two offseason, he has been bombarded with calls from the Garden about upgrades. Desperate stuff -- come watch the team practice, attend our draft party, lunches and dinners with Knick legends.

Lots of high end holders are not renewing and this season is not going to reverse the trend.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I thought the Knicks stopped selling out last year (or the year before that).

If attendance is decent this year, maybe it's because of rubbernecking?

12. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

the streak of sellouts ended in November 2002 against Milwaukee.

Draft saved Draft deleted