1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: No more WH correspondents dinners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by D-Backs Hack, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a huge stand-up fan. I hit the Comedy Store when I'm in LA and the Comedy Cellar when I'm in NYC.

The worst guy I've ever seen at either place is 100X funnier than Rich Little.

Hell, the guys who don't get asked back on Last Comic Standing are funnier than Rich Little...

2. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Lest we forget the unseemly spectacle of news organizations pressuring reporters to land the coolest "guests" (folk they actually cover) to be at their table. what a cozy, unethical relationship that is. at the least, a who's-got-the-biggest-johnson contest that makes absolutely no sense.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the relative merits of Rich Little's humor in the 21st century, but it's probably no less compelling than, say Garrison's Keillor's political stuff.

But let a Democrat by the president again, heaven forbid, and the NYT will be right back in the front row.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good comparison there, H bomb. ::)

The deal with Little is he has not been relevant since the 1970s -- if he ever was.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Oh, please.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"But even were the dinner to vanish altogether, it remains but a yearly televised snapshot of the overall syndrome..."

Have you mixed YOUR tenses today ???

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That would be reason enough.

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Seriously, not to threadjack here, but where could they go from here? Newhart would seem to be a good combination of funny but old school, but who else could they get? Is this the sort of gig that's gone from a good outside-the-box shot for a comic to an absolute must-avoid?

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

They should just get John Stewart and give everyone a big F.U.

Draft saved Draft deleted