1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... no ... we have to look at the body of work.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The New York Times is the Jeff Tweedy of sections. Maybe not for everyone, but a pioneer and innovator. Capable of anything. Even weird shit that's kind of a rip off of old stuff, as this cover proves.

I can't decide what would be the Jay Farrar of sections. The Toledo Blade maybe? The Buffalo News? I'm going to have to think about this for a bit.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The San Antonio Express-News.

4. jr/shotglass

Some equate fine writing with a fine sports section. They can go together, but they don't have to go together.

The best sports section gives the best presentation of the sports world to its reader base on a daily basis, not just a well-stated column and your best America's Cup coverage.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm just happy for the WMTPG, Vol 7 thread, where DD and I are unambiguously in agreement.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Exactly. And that's why I looked to The New York Times for LeBron James coverage but wouldn't look to it for a regular-season Mets game.

7. YankeeFan

I think people are unable to see the forest through the tree here.

The Times does bug big stuff. They also do the daily grind. They cover all the local beats. They're great on the Yankees, and they have a Red Bulls beat writer too.

If you're looking for Preps coverage, you might be disappointed, but the News and Post are not where you'd turn to for preps coverage either.

Do some gamers miss the print deadline? Sure, but in an internet world, I'm not sure that's a big deal.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I almost picked that! I ultimately decided on The Blade because maybe that Pultizer it won in 2004 could be its Trace.

9. jr/shotglass

And if you're looking for elegance in your sports section, yeah, the NYT is up there. But there's so much more than that.

Curation is absolutely vital. Do they take what they're given and PRESENT it well? Do they make something out of a slow news day?

Just saying, there's a lot more to it. And bringing it back around to the original point ... providing 10 lines of agate copy on your sports front is not doing any of those things mentioned.

10. YankeeFan

Meant to edit a previous post, not quote it...

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

ITT: People say "sports fans" when they mean "people who think just like me"

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I live in Maryland and subscribe to The Times and it usually has some great stuff on the big national events, trends and whatnot. But if I lived in the NYC area and really cared about the local teams, it wouldn't be the first paper I'd subscribe to. I'd go with the Star-Ledger for local sports ahead of The Times.

What's "best" clearly is a matter of what you are looking for and The New York Times certainly has some things they do extremely well that other papers can't even really attempt. All that said, that front was terrible. You've already been relegated to the back of the business section and often only run briefs on significant news and you decide to be cute and waste an entire page?

Draft saved Draft deleted