1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Linked below is the front page of today's New York Times sports section.

You may think it's artistic or a slap in the face to every shrinking news hole in America. Whatever the case, I thought it was worthy of a thread (even if probably 70 percent of the page designers here no longer work in newspapers :)).

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/11/5892653/new-york-times-goes-minimalist-to-report-lebron-james-signing-cavaliers

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think that's a great design if the goal is to stroke the designers' ego and say, "Look how edgy we are and what we can do!"

It's a horrible design if the goal is to serve the readers and present the news.

Plus, I think it's too soon after their similar HOF blank page when no one was elected a couple of years back. Can't go to that well this quickly again ...

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this.

It already pisses me off that the sports section of my local paper has dwindled down to absolutely nothing. If my paper arrives with this as the sports front, I'm going to seriously ask myself why I'm paying for this.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Design for your readers.
    Do not design for other designers.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

LeBron James had not signed with the Cavaliers when this design was put together.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This is trite and cliched. The New York Times did this same approach just 18 months ago when no one made the Baseball Hall of Fame. There's nothing "new," "edgy" or "cutting edge" there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hall of Fame cover discussed here.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/94300/

I liked the approach then. But 18 months later? Lazy.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I got douche chills looking at that.

It's the newspaper equivalent of a Hollywood sequel whose success is entirely predicated on going to the well once too often.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Yankees and the Mets played last night and the biggest soccer match for the next four years is played tomorrow. Your best NBA player is about to leave, and you are wasting newsprint with a snide little joke on the front.

It's cute, but it would have been just as effective to run that as a tease up top.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait a cotton-pickin' second ...

... Shaun Livingston signed with the Warriors?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

LeBron James still has not "signed", so the type on the cover was simply wrong. Correction-worthy wrong, IMO.

That being said, the "agreement" most certainly DID make the AP Transactions list.

Draft saved Draft deleted