1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: 'I Was Groped on the Subway.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, May 13, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Awesome story.

The undercover officer asked if I would give her a written statement right there. I nodded, and she handed me a piece of paper. My hand shook as I wrote, my words jumbled. Finally, I handed her the sheet filled with crossed out inappropriate words replaced by slightly less inappropriate words. She said her partner would come talk to me in a minute and pointed toward a bench. There was the man in the navy sweat pants. He sat calmly, hands cuffed behind his back with a plastic zip tie. I hadn’t even realized they had stopped him, let alone that they were arresting him.

The other officer, a man wearing camouflage cargo shorts and a ripped T-shirt, told me they were watching for pickpockets, but that groping was “the real epidemic.”

“I saw your face first,” he said. “I have daughters and a wife, so I knew right away what that look meant. Makes me sick.” He assured me there was little I could have done, that my groper had picked the busiest train at the peak of rush hour for that very reason. I clung onto his words, grateful for his empathy.

http://nyti.ms/11zpOXZ

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't do it!

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or maybe he did.

[​IMG]

Where's that right hand?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice shirt, Jared Subway Tool.

And you make how much money?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No need for him to grope anyone on the subway. He can get his hands on some perky Bs in the privacy of his own home.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"When we arrived at Times Square, I pushed passed him with the force of the other riders behind me."</i>

Pushed "passed" him? In the New York Times? Or at least on the website?

More to the point, how effective is prosecution in a case like this? Can't the perp argue that the train was crowded and that contact was incidental? Is the eyewitness testimony of undercover cops enough to establish intent? Do the courts and cops really have the time and inclination to pursue these cases?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Being groped on the subway in NYC counts as news? I thought that was sort of a regular occurrence.

8. If high school softball players were involved, I assume there would be interest from a poster or two here.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Further nitpicking: Was the victim actually "groped?" I thought hands had to be involved to grope.

I guess this is a feelgood (no pun intended) story that they nabbed a subway pervert, but I don't really see much substance.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A jury of his peers would know it is entirely possible to ride in crowded subway cars every day for years on end without becoming obviously aroused and repeatedly rubbing that part -- and that part only -- against someone else. In fact, I find subway cars so disgusting (although some people eat there, contributing to the odors of others who haven't bathed or just farted), that I'm pretty sure most of us would need some chemical assistance to reach this state. It's a loud, stinky, sweaty, moving petri dish filled with all kinds of lowlifes. Even without being groped, short women like my wife wind up wedged under somebody's armpit somedays. Not a turn-on for most folks.

11. Smasher_Sloan

You're showing your age. I remember when it was possible to get wood from reading an especially spicy Ann Landers column.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Frank's post is an ethnic slur or two from John Rocker territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted