1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Goes To $2 Daily, $5 Sunday, Beginning 6/1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, May 31, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Suicide . . . headline news . . .

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Five bucks for Sunday doesn't strike me as out of line. $2 for the daily? Well, if I have to choose between my WSJ and Times' subscriptions, that's another point in the Journal's favor.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fair evaluation. I bitched about $1.50 daily . . . this is ludicrous. Will pay a dime to copy
    the Mon/Wed crosswords, though.

4. Babs

Babs Member

They might get New Yorkers to pay $2 daily, but they can forget about the rest of the country paying that much. They will no longer be a national paper at that price.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is that new for NYC itself? I could have sworn the Sunday paper was $5 nationally already.

I just renewed my national-edition home delivery after a while off, paying $6.70 per week for six months. Can't argue with that paper for less than a buck a day.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A professor in college once told my class that if the NYT sold no advertising, they'd have to charge $12 per copy just to break even. They're almost halfway there ...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

$5 for Sundays is a NY Metro price . . . certain it will be higher, elsewhere. Sic Transit.

8. The Starbucks girl told me the other day it's going to be $6 on Sundays.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

NYT readers have always been willing to pay more than other papers' readers, and an extra 50 cents won't be a big deal for them.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.nytpick.com/2009/05/dan-baums-back-now-hes-blogging-about.html

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

What are the current daily/Sunday rates?

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I paid $5 today for the national edition. I believe that is the same rate I was paying more than a year ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted