1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Goes To $1.50 On Newsstands August 18

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Helloooo, library.

Buck and a half for Bill Rhoden?

Think not.

2. nibs price

nibs price Member

And no comics? No thanks.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Frank was right, they don't want the Jets fans after all. ;)

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Never did!

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Isn't the bump from $1 to $1.25 only about a year old?

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

Yep, that's one foolproof way to lower your newsstand sales and drive people to the web ...

Maybe if they would put a little more content in the paper instead of running that 3-page "table of contents" garbage or beef up the sports section so its a thicker than a take-out menu...

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

C'mon, a quarter isn't going to hurt the regular Times readers. And I'm perfectly fine paying for the international coverage I can't get anywhere else. (Especially now that Judy Miller is gone!)

You people are in the industry! Show your respect for the craft! (While you still can....)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree about the quarter. It's partly a mental thing...$1.25 to $1.50, you're still getting change from two bucks. I'd say the $1 to $1.25 jump was far bigger, 'cause you're pulling out that extra buck.

There's all kinds of psychology in pricing. "Holy crap, I'm not paying five grand for a home entertainment center! Oh, $4,900? That's cool. Let's finance it."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If we can agree on $1.50, would you be willing to buy a New York Times today?

10. Supplies are running out!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shee-it, I shell out $51 a month for national home delivery. I know I'm doing my part :)

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, since virtually every other newspaper has told me the NYT is where I need to go for all the news they're no longer bothering with, a price hike seems inevitable.

Draft saved Draft deleted