1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Duke's Jay Williams, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

you discount a Final Four trip as if it's nothing. If you're a point guard your biggest job is to facilitate your team's offense. Cleaves did that. A point guard measures his success through a team's success more than other guys on the floor. Cleaves was the heart and soul of the best team in the country.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You didn't answer my question. Do you think Mateen Cleaves had a better college career than Jay Williams?

Also, with all the point guards named, Bobby Hurley is a strange omission.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't have time to read this right now. A friend also emailed it to me. I'm very excited to read it.

As an openly biased observer, I will recuse myself from the best PG discussion.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Hurley was a beast in college. I think he gets overlooked a bit because he was never the best player on his own college teams and his NBA career was also cut short by an unfortunate accident, but his career as a college point guard has to rank among the best ever.

Kidd was a beast at Cal. He only stayed two years, but holy shit was he awesome.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd suggest productivity is a rather important part of any resume.

GT made one Final Four - lost to UNLV, which, again, would have beaten Jay Williams' crew -- and 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament the next year. As a I recall, Anderson's hair was falling out, the second year, from the stress of having to carry the team.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

FUCK YOU GUYS!

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good article. Perfect for a Sunday. Story touched on it but was there a bit of controversy over his name change from Jason to Jay? I seem to recall a spirited debate on SJ.
    It was something about a press release his marketing folks put out pre draft.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

He scoffs:

[​IMG]

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bad form to sport the Nike and Under Armour logos at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did he get paid his full rookie contract from the Bulls or was it voided?

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Jerry Reinsdorf, in a rare moment of not being a total fucking cheapskate, paid him his money.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think some people have suggested that Williams was better than Magic on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted