1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN cover on San Bernadino

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Dec 3, 2015.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those are four men seeking the highest office in the land in a political party that has consistently failed to address the massive problem of gun control in any meaningful way. If that's an agenda, so be it for me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How should legitimate journalists feel about this cover?
    021.jpg

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

In the same vein, but at least they used a news photo and attempted to tell the story of the actual news event.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't tell the story any more or less than the Daily News cover did. These are tabloids. They took a big news event and focused on a particular aspect of it, distilling it down to a headline / graphic.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. And let's be honest, these events are becoming so routine that a straight cover isn't going to move copies off the newsstand anymore. (And to repeat, the tabloids don't do "straight.") Have no problem with taking some risk. And we're all talking about it, so it worked.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This was my problem with it. Seems to me they're laying this at the feet of the Republican side.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Lots of "journalists" are perfectly fine with that.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is the side that refuses to do anything to fix the problem.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, Obama's last two official tweets on the POTUS account were about climate change, Bernie Sanders doesn't believe in God, and Hillary thinks she IS God. So there really wasn't anything to work with.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What the NYDN cover should have said:

TWITTER ISN'T FIXING THIS

As latest batch of daily newspapers are left lying in a pool of debt, media companies who could truly report the news continue to hide behind manufactured outrage.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The NYDN should have asked the True Father to fix it.

Draft saved Draft deleted