1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC to LA in 12 minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

Not so fast, my friend ... DARPA has lost contact with the HTV-2 (hypersonic technology vehicle).

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So that could cut the Tahoe trip to, what, nine minutes?

4. bigpern23

:D

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Honey, I'm going to NYC, I'll be back in an hour... :D

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But will it have wifi? And will you be able to use your cellphone? "Hey there, they're shutting the door ... hang on a sec ... OK, we're landing, I'll be at gate B-23."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It doesn't sound like it's too close to doing the whole LAX to JFK route for passengers anytime soon. :D

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If they're making this "test" public, then I'd wager the second generation is already operational.

9. bigpern23

I'd be willing to wager this thing carries bombs, not passengers for a long while.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, good. Now we can bomb the bad guys much quicker. Those tense moments waiting for the bomber on TV shows won't be filmed anymore.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. FAA limits your airspeed.

The source is Part 91 of the Federal Aviation Regulation.

§ 91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Edit to add source.

Draft saved Draft deleted