1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC stores forced to show graphic anti-smoking ads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 26, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Appeal to emotion, I believe.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Appeal to emotion is more like "Favorable emotions are associated with P, therefore P is true."

What he attempted was more like the Fallacy of Wishful Thinking.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Actually, what I meant to say was S^T^F^U. :D

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually, I think that one may qualify for personal attack, as well. A two-fer!! :D

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

See, but that just means you said 'U.'

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As long as it's not CNHI.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand the argument against it all, but I really think you need to work on your understanding of hypocrisy. They want to eliminate smoking. Failing that, they want to reduce it. These taxes and restrictions reduce it, with the added bonus of bringing in tax money. You may not like it, but it is not hypocrisy.

It shouldn't be a legal product. It really shouldn't. Since there is no way the government can fix that, they do the next best thing.

I'm glad your close relative only had a scare. Trust me, I know far too well what it is like when it becomes far more than a scare and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Remember what Archie Bunker said, that the whole anti-smoking thing is a conspiracy of big business?
    Meathead asked which big business and Archie said "The people who make the 'No Smoking' signs."

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I just don't think they want to eliminate smoking; I think the government is perfectly happy to demonize it on one hand and profit from it on the other.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree there. I think they want to eliminate it, settle for limiting it as much as possible AND enjoy profiting from it.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Pointless, IMHO. I'm reminded of a Denis Leary rant he unleashed when they enlarged the warnings on packs. "What!?! Smoking's bad for you? Holy shit! Why didn't anyone tell me!?... You could make the warning the size of the whole pack and make a brand of cigarettes called 'Tumors' and people will still line up for butts."

Want to eliminate tobacco? Fine, do it -- and I say that as a smoker. But quit pansy-assing around like there's anyone out there who has no idea that smoking is bad for you.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You do know how much a pack of cigarettes costs in New York? The city and state tax pushes it over $10. (not sure of the real breakdown of the numbers) But the tobacco company makes like a 1.50 and the rest goes to the State.

Don't know the answer to this, but has anybody marketed just a tobacco cigarette? Not that I would put tobacco into my body, but I think the worst part about cigs is the tar, nicotine, chemicals, carcinogens that go into the whole product. If its just tobacco, maybe its not as bad. Maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted