1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC stores forced to show graphic anti-smoking ads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 26, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

More unintentional comedy from one of the most clueless posters on the board. Projecting again, eh??

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's right. It's apples and oranges.

3. sportsguydave

Guess we will agree to disagree. The abortion clinic, buffer zones or not, is forced to share the same space with a message that conflicts with the product it sells.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

But not by the state and not in the operating room.

5. imjustagirl

It's not the same space. They're not allowed in the property. They have to be out on the sidewalks, in public property.

It would be comparable if there were photos of aborted fetii hanging in the room in which the procedure were to be held. Or even in the waiting room. But people standing outside, hundreds of yards from the procedure, is not the same thing as someone trying to make a purchase and forced to stare at the result 10 feet from the purchase point. Sorry.

6. imjustagirl

Also, this.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Perspective, in this case, apparently means 'agreeing with me.'

Abortion, by the way, isn't damaging to the health of the person undergoing the procedure. And the fetus is not an independent living being. So the seeming parallel isn't as much of a parallel as some might like to think.

8. imjustagirl

It can be.

9. sportsguydave

Good points. Made respectfully.

10. imjustagirl

Translation: You're right, IJAG, and I can choose to act like I'm not a douche when I want to.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So can any surgical procedure. Should you be forced to look at a picture of an infected knee before you have ACL surgery?

12. imjustagirl

No. I also don't think you should be forced to look at a diseased lung when you buy cigarettes. There's a warning label, the same as the form you sign before you undergo surgery. You know the risks. You're an adult.

I wasn't arguing FOR said signs. I was arguing that the example given was in fact comparable.

Draft saved Draft deleted