1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC SJ.comers! Help, with Broadway show info and attire!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 16, 2008.

1. OK, I need a hotel. Not just any hotel in NYC.
    I want classic NYC hotel, preferably a nice (3 or 4-star). I don't know that I need all the amenities. For Christ's sake I'm NYC so I don't plan on spending much time in my room. But I do want the basics, clean, comfortable, big nice bed with good service, close to some nice restaurants and sights, entertainment and transportation. I plan to see a Broadway show (leaning toward Wicked) as well.

I have done some research and found a couple I like:
    The Barclay
    The Lucerne
    The Algonquin
    The Warick
    Any preferences or suggestions among those of you who have visited or lie in NYC?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: NYC SportsJournalists.comers! Help!

Hudson's good, if you can get a solid break on it through Hotwire, or the like.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What about the New Yorker Hotel? It's on Eight Avenue and 34th Street, diagonally across from Madison Square Garden. It's a quick walk to Broadway. Subways and cabs are right outside.

http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/index.html

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The hotel I stay at in New York is the Edison Hotel. Handy to all the Broadway theatres, walking distance to just about anything and not too bad price wise. The rooms are small but clean and theres a diner for breakfast in the lobby.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/index.asp

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That Hudson is beautiful, and has a couple of great bars that are really nicely set. The main bar is pretty good if you have a thing for models, celebrities and bored rich women. The library bar, which is one of my favorite places in Manhattan, is just a great place to chill -- fireplace, couches, chess tables, pool table (and overpriced drinks, so beware). I love the hotel, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the some of the hotels Evil listed. The Hudson isn't classic. It's modern.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Any literary visit to New York begins and ends here:

http://www.hotelchelsea.com/

Lay your head where Dylan Thomas did a great deal of his binging! And blacking out!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hear dat. But doing the best I can to dredge up something decent that won't cost firstborn. What's happend to NY hotel prices across-the-board the past few years is horrifying.

And though the location's desirable in some ways, the New Yorker's very, very borderline, these days. Be careful. I'm not sure I'd want to be staying too close to MSG, unless I had business in the immediate vicinity.

If you're a writer and you're not enchanted by the idea of the Algonquin, you're mad . . . mad!
    Just one tip, if you go that way: avoid the dining room. You'll thank me, later.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Another option is renting a studio apartment for a few days - there are plenty of agencies online. Mr. Cougar and I have spent less on renting apartments than the suggested prices for hotels.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

cougs, you can also find apartments for rent on craigslist. We almost went that route for our Christmas trip, but used Marriott points instead.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And don't forget that in a pinch, we have all the perennial American motel favorites in Manhattan, too. Holiday Inn Express, Red Roof Inn, Best Western, etc. Certainly not classics, but affordable.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

JG, Did you follow the soap opera going on with ownership, management and the residents? It got ugly. Not sure how it resolved itself. One cool thing it did was launch a blog that is now devoted to some of the "lesser" names that have spent time there. It highlights some people doing some interesting literary and artistic work: http://www.hotelchelseablog.com/

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stayed at the Affinia 50 last summer. Loved, loved, loved it. Huge rooms, some with balconies over 50th.

Draft saved Draft deleted