1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC Outing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jul 18, 2013.

?

Go see the Brewers-Mets at 4:10 pm at Citi Field?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. ambivalent

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Had a friend run Tunnel to Towers a few years ago, and she said it was pretty somber.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Please don't change the dates. I found a super airfare to NYC that weekend so jumped on it before it disappeared. I'll be arriving in time for the baseball game and sticking around until Sunday evening.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to try and get in Friday night - I could go either way on the baseball game. Any Friday arrivals want to see a show? Or shop for shoes? Or go to my favorite bookstore?

We doing a "team" hotel or is lodging on our own?

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I was wondering whether I had time to fit in a matinee on Sunday.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Amy, the dates are officially locked in if you've booked your flight. That's the weekend I had initially targeted, anyway.

Moddy, I'm not the best person to ask about NYC hotels because I live in Westchester and I rarely stay overnight in town (although this might be a good occasion to do just that). I stayed in town for our board meeting at the Westin Grand Central last year and it was fine. I've heard good things about the Roosevelt (which may be a bit less expensive at around $300 a night) and have actually recommended it based on others' opinions.

For those of you who collect Marriot points, there are obviously a number of properties from which to choose.

http://www.theroosevelthotel.com/

Might be good to be relatively close to Grand Central in terms of transportation. We'll catch the No. 7 train to Citi Field there, too.

As for Friday night, I'll be around and I can definitely hang our for a few hours after work.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Good news - bad news. The bad news is that it appears I won't be able to make the outing. The good news is that it's because after a very long dry spell I just got a gig with the biggest opera company in Canada.

I'll send JR solo. :D

7. cranberry

Too bad but congratulations, HC. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you. I had been hoping to sit near you at the ballgame in case you decided to sing the national anthem. The U.S. one.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Perhaps I will join the old boy, keep him company on the drive. Never need an excuse to go to NYC. Congrats HC!

9. cranberry

JR needs someone to watch after him. :D

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One of my favorite moments ever was when HC dropped the Star-Spangled Banner on us while we were in Toronto. May have been a drunken stop at Tim Hortons for a strawberry tart.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, not so sure HC would agree that I am the best person for this immense responsibility!

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've never been so happy to get bad news. Congrats HC!!
    But shit. You know?

My boy Whyno is in Toronto now, though, so I have another excuse to get up that way

Draft saved Draft deleted