1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC outdoor smoking ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 24, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You all very well may have talked about this before, but New York City's new smoking ban went into effect yesterday:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/new.york.smoking.ban/index.html

I'm a smoker, and I really have no problem not being able to light up in restaurants, bars, etc. I don't have a problem with a ban at local beaches. I don't litter - I always make sure I'm near an ashtray and have one in my car so I'm not throwing butts out the window.

But at this point, it's getting ridiculous. In Central Park, for instance, why can't you put up a few "smoking stations" that are far enough off the beaten path that nonsmokers can avoid them?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

New York is hardly the first to ban smoking in parks. My Chicago 'burb, not exactly flaming liberal central, has such a ban, which is why during kids' baseball and softball games you see parents retiring to the curb across the street for a mid-game smoke.

The issue -- to me, anyway -- is the littering, though being next to a smoker at a park sucks, too. So many smokers who would otherwise never throw garbage on the ground seem to have no compunction doing that with their spent cigarettes.

Chicago has banned smoking at beaches and parks since 2007, after a one-day beach cleanup found hundreds of thousands of butts. By the way, the city also bans feeding birds, so there isn't more bird poop to foul beaches and force e coli-related closures.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Social contract: Your right to do anything is absolute. ... until it starts to infringe on others.

I am fine with completely outlawing that disgustingness in public. I can't stand when I am walking up a city street behind someone smoking, having to breath in their stupidity. I shouldn't have to.

But parks are a good place to start. They are public places. You want to partake in that nastiness in private somewhere, fine I guess, if you can control the second-hand smoke somehow. But you shouldn't be able to do it in a public place set up for everyone's enjoyment.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As long as smokers keep paying their increasing taxes, they'll be pushed out of public places.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

They won't set up stations because that means there will be employees -- at risk of inhaling second-hand smoke -- that have to patrol them, and clean them.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would rather that than sit next to someone on a bus for a half an hour with that on their breath. Talk about a wave of nausea.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone who can't deal with someone smoking outside is just an obnoxious jerk. It's OUTSIDE. The smoke dissipates in .5 seconds. Fucking walk around the smoker in question. Seriously, if you're close enough to have to inhale it, you're walking too close to the smoker in the first place and you're probably invading their personal space.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Funny, they'll outlaw where you can smoke but they'll never outlaw the cigarettes. The lesson to be learned here, kids, is that the difference between tobacco users and tobacco makers is lobbyists. If its so bad for you (and I smoked a pack a day for 17 years so I'm well aware of what it does to you), fucking prohibit it altogether. But we couldn't do that because a few families in Virginia and Kentucky would lose their livelihood. Tough shit.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Finally, NYC will have pristine air.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Between the urine, vomit and stale water smell in some areas cigarette smoke is the least of your worries.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Have you ever gotten off at the 6 stop at 77th Street, for example, at around 7 p.m., and walked up the stairs behind a large swell of people moving slower than molasses, including, say a dozen who are lighting cigarettes before they are out of the station? You know what it is like to navigate the people stretched across the sidewalk, walking slowly and paying more attention to their cell phones than the people who want to pass them? Do you have any concept of what it is like to live in a place where there are often hundreds of people occupying only a square block?

I spend half my life speeding up my walk to get past people blowing smoke behind them. Try doing it in midtown Manhattan during the day (when half the world is standing on the sidewalk blowing smoke at everyone who walks by). Forget them, though. I don't walk too close to people and invade their personal space, the way you ridiculously imagine. I live in a place where public sidewalks are more crowded than perhaps you're used to.

You'd think it would be a particular reason to try to be self-aware. Not walking 10 across when people who walk faster than you want to pass. Not blowing smoke like a chimney behind you at the dozens of people who are heading in the same direction.

If being bothered by it makes me an obnoxious jerk, I am guilty. But when you throw the label at me, at least have a clue about what you're talking about. I (and everyone else who lives here) genuinely am in situations EVERY day in which I can't avoid other people's second-hand smoke -- and I do everything I can, including speeding up my walk, crossing streets, avoiding the areas they have congregated. ...

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

just smoke thoe E-cigarettes. No second-hand smoke and you still get the nicotine you crave.

Draft saved Draft deleted