1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC anchor live on the air: "What the F are you doing?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, May 13, 2008.

1. Good question. Why don't you try yelling it in your grandmother's face about 10-12 times and let me know?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I love how it fit into the promo.

"Some are spending more at the grocery and ending up with less. We'll tell you how to get more. What the fuck are you doing?"

She missed the part of the script that said, "And if you're spending too much for groceries . . . . "

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Sue Simmons was a fluff head 30 years ago. Channel 4 managed to increase their ratings when she was on at 5 pm years ago, but she has never been anything but a talking head.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You would be surprised. I can name two people at my last stop and one at my current paper who are, and in both cases, people go out of their way to avoid profanity around them.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't find the word offensive, so her apology was correct.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Would you be OK if your kids heard it on the broadcast?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The year I worked in a television station I was surprised at how often people we curse in front of a camera just a few minutes before going live.

I remember one rookie doing it and an experienced guy pulled her aside. You just never know if the guy in the back flipped your switch early. (That's what she said)

Of course, this is quite different.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I think her co-host was supposed to do the second half of the promo (the ship story), but instead was doing stuff on his computer.

As for cursing, I have a religious cousin who once took offense at a casual f-word I unthinkingly tossed into the conversation (He's a 40-ish guy with a ponytail, so it wasn't like I was doing it in front of some kid). I apologized, then asked why he thought it was offensive.

"Because God made your mouth and your polluting it with language like that," he answered. Unconvincingly, as far as I was concerned.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What's really hilariously offensive are people who don't understand why using the F-word is offensive.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Quite an update today. It's the Post, but still.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05142008/news/regionalnews/silly_sue_a_salty_swiller_110759.htm

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm trying to think of the age where my kids would have heard that word for the first time from a news anchor.

I don't think it would be possible.

So, I think it's moot.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would think a parent would be better about informing children that just because an adult does something, that doesn't automatically mean they should do the same if they hear someone drop the F-bomb on T.V.

My folks were really young when they had me, but I seem to remember them doing that. I also remember lectures in the car driving home whenever I did something wrong and they couldn't immediately correct me. I also remember my dad giving me dirty looks as a kid when he didn't have the chance to *say* something immediately.

Should Simmons have said it? No way. But that just means it's time to be parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted