1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Dec 1, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I ate at Sbarro during like a 45-minute layover because I hadn't eaten all day.

I'd rather have eaten my arm.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

THAT'S NOT CHICAGO PIZZA!

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't know, pallister. My friend, who was born and bred in Chicago, called it Chicago pizza.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Deep Dish pizza traditionally is thought of as "Chicago pizza," but most Chicagoans prefer the homegrown thin crust. Double-deckers are good, too.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

IJAG,
    Your friend is insane! ;D

I have eaten ungodly amounts of Chicago pizza in my life, and of that I can count on one hand the number of deep dish pieces.

True Chicago pizza from the neighborhoods is thin crust. The deep dish stuff isn't bad, but, as Doc said, it's not what most people who live in the city consider Chicago pizza.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pallister, you're wrong. Thin-crust, by-the-slice pizza is a product of New York and the northeast, not Chicago. Just because there are local pizzerias that do it in Chicago, doesn't make it Chicago's pizza, any more than a pizzeria in Denver doing a New York-style pizza makes it a Denver pizza. The style originated in NY, not Chicago (and having lived in both places, NY does it better on the whole).

What DID originate in Chicago, was the deep dish pizza that was first done by Pizzeria Uno and then copied by others, such as Giordano's, Gino's, Lou Malnati's. And that is kind of like a foccacia with a casserole piled into it, done in a deep dish, as opposed to the by-the-slice pizza. That is Chicago-style pizza, because it originated in Chicago.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yay! Ragu gets it.

Just because you like it doesn't make it Chicago pizza. I like fried chicken. Doesn't make it Michigan chicken because I ate it there.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks for the history lesson, but you're insane, too. :)

Origination Schmidgination. People who live and eat in Chicago (the city, not the suburbs; those people don't count) prefer the thin crust, thereby making it Chicago pizza, damnit! And it's not just a pizzeria here and there that offers thin crust pizza. You can hardly find a neighborhood pizzeria in the Chicago metro area that even offers that deep dish crap.

I've lived a good chunk (or slice, as it were) of my life in Chicago. I've never even been party to a person ordering deep dish in my presence. And I intend to keep it that way.

IJAG,
    It's not that I like this special kind of pizza. Referencing above, it's literally the only kind offered in neighborhood pizzerias.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He's right. Deep Dish is something we foist upon tourists. :D

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Do you realize how insane that sounds?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, it was written with a bit of sarcasm. But which part exactly didn't you like?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://shopsins.com/

If you read the menu, I think they might serve something you'd eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted