1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Dec 1, 2006.

1. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Oh, and get a knish from a street vendor!

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'd recommend the bar Stout. I don't have the link off-hand, but if you perform a quick Google search you'll find it. They have lots of tele's and I'm sure they'll have the game on.

Outside of that, I know of a place in Chinatown where they make noodles by hand. The soup there is pretty damn good. I think it only went for about $5/bowl. The only problem being that if you aren't used to walking into holes in the wall that have only 5-tables and is filled only with Chinese people, it might not be the right place.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh, and I forgot to add Markt. It is in the meat packing district.
    http://marktrestaurant.com/

It is a Belgian restaurant. They have great beer and the food is fantastic. If you go, just make sure to read the description, some of the beef is raw. I had the lamb and it was unbelievable.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.stoutnyc.com/index.html

I've had that site bookmarked for six months, as I plan for an NYC trip in late May for a wedding.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Thank you all, right now, for beginning this thread. The fiance and I plan to honeymoon in New York City and we've had little to no time to actually plan for NYC, outside of the discussion and knowing to visit the obligatory tourist sites (Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park, etc.)

Yet I am already intrigued by Stout. Thank you, Inky.

What is the deal with NYC and papayas? Susan Orlean wrote one of the funniest essays about the papaya's presence in the city.

6. For the good pint, it would be Rocky Sullivan's.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Another very good Belgian place is Cafe de Bruxelles at Greenwich Ave. and 13th St. in the West Village
    Tiny place but exceptional food and great Belgian ale in 25 oz. bottles.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Cougar's going off the market? Damn. SportsJournalists.com men weep.

9. oldhack

oldhack Member

Take them for a walk in Central Park. Start at 72nd Street and Central Park West. Surprises all along the way, particularly at the start.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

My "must-do" advice to NYC tourists are:
    Go to Ellis Island, one of the mst fascinating places I've ever been to; Take a Circle Line full-island ride around Manhattan, just awesome;
    and block out a few hours just to walk around CentrlaaPark and, in spring or summer, take a ride on the carousel in Central Park.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Starting at The Dakota.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There's a place called Sbarro in Times Square if you want to experience a slice of real New York pizza.

Draft saved Draft deleted