1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times uses Politico as microcosm of "online journalism"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Check out the headline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/business/media/19press.html?pagewanted=1

Actually a very interesting story, but the headline offers sweeping statement while the story offers a single case study.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I've done the net thing, on a much smaller scale than anything like Politico, and it's much like the Times described. Instead of deadline pressure at 10:30 p.m., it's deadline pressure all day long. Getting beat by a few minutes is enough to cause embarrassment or worse. You celebrate a scoop, and forget it 15 minutes later because you are running on something else. It's a wonder anyone gets to sleep.

Very tough way to make a living, especially for $40,000 in Washington D.C.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've thought of working for online ventures, or starting my one, but I like working 40 hours a week (sometimes 45), and not worrying about a 24-hour news cycle.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's better to burnout than it is to rust.

Whatever POLITCO is doing it's running circles around The Times as far as being ahead of the curve with inside the Beltway stories.

The Mike Allen newsletter has become the first thing I read in the morning.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't take Politico seriously. Especially because this is all I think about when reading it:

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

My God, that was awesome.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

A lot of eyes will be on TBD.com - a more localized version of Politico (from the same company) - to see how it will work/make money.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Agreed. You can't take a lunch break because you never know who will get what when you are out. The bigger the site, the worse it gets.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Every time I think "Around the Horn" is just too loud, I remember that all online journalism is shouting at me, too, begging for page views.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

*All*, Dave? Sorry, that's a bit too much of a generalization for me. (Plus, "page views" is old thinking - it is about time on site.)

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just read every Huffington Post headline. And I'm not part of the cool crowd that uses the term HuffPo.

Draft saved Draft deleted