1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times Sued By Lobbyist (Yes, THAT Lobbyist)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 30, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know if McCain wants it, but he's not the one who filed it. She did.

Are you implying that the Times' defense will be that McCain may have had affairs with other women, but not this one, so they're in the clear?

I wouldn't think this woman would file the suit, knowing that everything about her will now be looked into, if her closet wasn't pretty clean.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hubris? Anger? All kinds of reasons to file a suit, other than the logical one. And I would think she's surely a public figure

3. old_tony

And I would think, given the Times' general attitude toward all things Republican, that malice won't be too hard to prove.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Editorials don't constitute prima facie malice. And proving that news gathering was malicious will be darn near impossible. You may not like the stuff the reporters dig up, but facts you don't like don't constitute malice.

5. old_tony

Let's put it this way: If there are any honest folks in the NYT newsroom, the NYT would do well to keep them away from the woman's lawyers.

6. Yep, that's the issue - not McCain, but the lobbyist. There's an obvious argument for her public figuredom, but the balance of what I've read suggests she wouldn't be considered one.

Draft saved Draft deleted