1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times story on UK beatwriter Jerry Tipton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was it IJAG's original point that the NYT shouldn't have mentioned the death threats? I'm not sure you can assume a wide knowledge among NYT readers of that degree of passion.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's essentially my original point.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good point.

4. Johnny Dangerously

I think the story helped personalize what a lot of readers already knew, but I'm certain a lot of other readers didn't have the kind of familiarity with the topic that we do. Jerry covers a major beat for a paper with a major program in its city. The New York Times is a different type of paper with a different type of readership -- and different sports coverage. People who don't read a lot of sports stories read stories like this on championship game days. I think the story enlightened a few, or at least put a face to the dynamic. And as you said, it's not just any program -- it's Kentucky basketball.

If BillyT disagrees with me, that's fine.

But he asked if I didn't think The New York Times knows reporters get hate mail and death threats. He didn't say New York Times readers.

So to answer the question he asked, yeah, I do think that. I do think The New York Times knows that.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

Not that this wouldn't also frighten me, but those hours are a pretty safe guess for reporters. I wonder if he actually knew or just figured out your address and then got lucky.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think it's a bad article for the NYT.

I do think it's odd for people here to say it's a "great" story like it's something new.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think all beat writers hear from wacky fans. I think that particular beat has second and third helpings of crazies.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Hey, just as an aside, but does anybody other than the Times use "N.B.A." and "N.C.A.A."?
    And do they do that with even longer acronyms, such as "N.A.A.C.P."?

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I know they do it with NASCAR -- or N.A.S.C.A.R. in N.Y.T.-speak.

10. Johnny Dangerously

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not this.

This.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. If you sound out the letters, it gets the periods.

If the acronym is sounded out like a word, it's written like a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted