1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times sob journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 3, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth to what you are saying, Baron, but there's also a lot of refusing to compromise on lifestyle.

The housing crisis wasn't made by people who couldn't afford homes trying to buy them. It was made by people trying to afford bigger home than they could afford.

Cable TV, internet access, computers, cell phones, these are almost essential these days, but didn't used to be required.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Another valid point.

And, there will be those who think either a) I'm crazy or b) am bragging or c) am stupid but I have basic cable plus four channels a land phone line with no options other than voice mail and I don't own a cell phone. I do have high speed internet, but it's the cheapest.

I manage just fine.

I have friends who literally pay HUNDREDS of dollars for all that and more.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't see how a reporter these days can go without a cell phone. Lots of time reporters post news with their cell phone.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If you don't know why every house needs at least two toilets, you must not eat a lot of Mexican food.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's another thing that sucks about being a reporter. A lot of things that could be optional become necessary.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe because nobody wants to wait to use the bathroom when they have to? (FYI, My house has one bath).

Also, there are more styles of houses than they used to be. For instance, when the Levitts built Levitown in Long Island, they used basically the same style house (and later went to three different styles), for each plot of land. They built the houses assembly-line style.

Now, people have houses custom-made, which tend to be bigger.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is true. I fought the good fight against getting one for as long as I could. Eventually, it got to the point where it was adversely affecting my job.

God forbid, I'll probably eventually have to get to this point with Twitter. Ugh.

But, with the beat I cover, it would be impossible to effectively do my job without a cell. There are some sources, if they call me and I can't field the call, it will be days before I can get a hold of them again.

Not to mention the sources that prefer to to communicate via text message.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Work provides us cell phones.

I just grab the one assigned to me each morning when I arrive.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Aren't you special, Pete. . . :p

Sometimes you really come off as an arrogant jerk. This is one of those times.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is interesting. I'm genuinely curious: You don't get the same phone everyday?

How does a source get a hold of you if he needs to, without you calling first? How does he know what number to call?

11. Pete Incaviglia

Custom-made homes and more than one bath are luxuries. You can live without both. I tried to explain that to my wife.

We've lived together for seven years. Never had more than one bathroom. My daughter can't be in a bathroom alone yet. But still, we "needed" two bathrooms.

No. We didn't.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Poorly constructed sentence on my part. I'm assigned the "white phone" every day. I grab it each morning when I arrive.

Draft saved Draft deleted