1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times says 35 jobs open at ESPN The Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think saying Hartford implies West Hartford.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, god. That's like saying Westchester implies NYC. Two totally different cities, different leadership, different safety levels.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thank you Miss Connecticut. :)

4. imjustagirl

Hey, I'm just saying. No one "chooses" to live in Hartford. That's like saying they "choose" to live in BYH's hometown. ;)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU LEAVE MY SISTER AND PARENTS ALONE!

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I find it comical that ESPN programs cite Sports Illustrated all the time, where as ESPN's own magazine barely, if ever, gets any pub. I know SI is superior, but I always thought it wasn't the best marketing for ESPN. IDK.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I always find it weird when sports writers trash the idea of working at ESPN. I know it's a big target, but in a lot of ways, it's the promised land: access, audience, money, space...

I mean, if you work for the Mag, you can pitch anything, anywhere, and they'll look for a reason to say yes. They sent me to Greece to write about free diving. Nobody does that stuff anymore.

And I think Chad Millman's going to be a terrific editor. Very good, smart dude. I'll be curious to see what he does with it. He'll be a writer's editor, I'm guessing.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said tf. Really from the beginning ESPN for the most part has been treated as the anti Christ in SJ land.

Seems like writing for ESPN would be like playing for The Yankees. You always have a chance to win.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

These magazine jobs that are open -- anyone have any insight as to whether they want people with a magazine background or a newspaper background?

10. imjustagirl

Fran,

A COMPLETE GUESS, so put no stock in this, but from personal experience: They care less about WHERE the experience comes from than they do what experience you have. I had never worked online before working for the dotcom. Assuming these are desk jobs (which I think is a fair assumption), editing is editing to a large extent. Show you can make stories better, work well on deadline and do the job, and you'll get a fair shake.

11. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

All of the above.

12. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

SI and ESPN Mag don't really occupy the same space, though. SI is news, ESPN Mag is features. They'll both hit you with some graphs and insight from time to time, but SI's weekly format makes it more logical to do that more often. ESPN Mag feels like it operates under the assumption that its readers are already sports fans and want that extra bit of color rather than nonstop X's & O's.

Draft saved Draft deleted