1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times exodus to SI continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Nov 16, 2007.

1. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

For that matter, if the NYT wanted diversity, how about Shaun Powell from Newsday? He's good, too.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Are you auctioning off Tribune/Zell talent?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It'd be irrelevant, though. No matter how good she is--and she's damn good--Newsday won't feel her loss in its circulation, since it has a monopoly on Long Island.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Shaun is a much better columnist than Johnette is.

5. The only drawback to making Juliet Macur a columnist is that she'd have to write more than six columns a year.

Speaking of suitable replacements, where's John Branch? He didn't cover Sunday's game.

6. thetypewriter

thetypewriter New Member

Seems to me that Macur writes more than the other project people at the Times. Looks like she's been on the Olympics beat.

I'd rather see her write long features. They're fantastic.

Simply, I don't think they will ever find a suitable replacement for Selena. She was one in a million.

7. I like both people, but this is severely incorrect.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the way I feel about LeBatard... I read his stuff and it makes me angry because I usually disagree so strongly with him, but it's saying a lot that I read from start to finish...

Great hire for SI by the way...

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Great. Make a total ass out of yourself on the Duke lacrosse case, get hired by SI. So much for justice ...

10. Mizzougrad96

You can say the same thing about just about every writer who covered the Duke LAX scandal...

This is a great hire and way overdue for Selena...

Go to the APSE site and find her gamer from the Knicks-Heat series a few years back... It is the example that should be held up for how exactly a gamer should be written...

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

time passes more quickly than i sometimes care to confront. selena's aforementioned gamer from the 1999 APSE awards:
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest1999/writing/over250.roberts.html

12. Mizzougrad96

The first time I read this gamer, I just said, "Holy, shit... it's perfect..."

Draft saved Draft deleted